A Stroll Down Memory Lane: Best 3Dfx Glide Games

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Had a Voodoo 3 and played all of those games at some point or other. Was a great card, although think my next was a Nvidia TNT2 Mach 64 and never saw anything worthwhile from 3DFX after that. Shame as they really were there at the start of decent discrete graphics cards.

I remember playing most of these games on my Pentium 4 90Mhz PC but I just used the built in graphics chip. I never new much about discreet cards those days.

Wow I played all of those games back in the day and I am sure they looked more realistic than that :)

Need for Speed II: Special Edition - OMG look at the graphics, I use to think the cars looked so amazing.

I think around that time I was using a 16MB Banshee but honestly I can't really recall.

My first video card upgrade like a lot of users was a TNT2. I kind of miss those early days and all the exciting new hardware we'd see in the magazines of the time. The graphics seemed amazing, and each new game would look better than the last.

I remember going to a more well off family than mine and playing their computer some of these games and (looking back foolishly) thinking "Wow! Graphics won't get better than this."

Oh, and the audible "click" when the card kicked in....snif....they don't make them like they used to...

Amd K6-2 500Mhz, Voodoo 3 and Rainbow Six, had them then and still do today.
A gamer since the days of pong, seeing the graphics evolve has been interesting.
Hope I live long enough to experience the holodeck.
Thinh I'll go play some Red Storm Rising on my Commodore 64, now that was a game.

I remember the running GLQuake and Tomb Raider after installing my Orchid Righteous 3D 3dfx card and sitting speechless for an afternoon. I think it was the single most significant upgrade to a PC I've performed in 20+ years. I salute the 3DFX team for what they did for the gaming industry; I don't think it's been repeated since.

Omg what a blast down memory lane. Reminds me of weekend long LAN parties playing Tribes, Quake2 and Jedi Knight, with my voodoo and then the banshee.

Unreal was the most incredible graphics I had seen. The water/reflective effect was stunning.

I miss my Voodoo 2 Black Magic... it definitely changed the world of gaming for me, but I was pretty upset about the lack of 32-bit graphics with Glide. I would fall back to my ASUS TNT 3400 whenever the performance was similar just for the color depth. Tribes is what I really used my Voodoo 2 for. Unreal was great with it as well.

When I got my first computer I got to play Quake 2 in Software mode only (you know, the ungodly mass of pixels) then I bought a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI and was able to enable Glide

My jaw seriously drop....I think its the biggest graphic quality jump I've ever seen in the industry of videogames, the only thing that comes close was when we were super used to 2d gaming and I saw the just released Super Mario 64 in a shop, jaw dropped again

I can't believe you don't have Tribes on your list. I went from an ATI 3D Rage II to a Voodoo 3 2000 and wow, what a difference.

Back