A very stupid question

By SubKamran
Jan 8, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A question

Will I be able to see anything on the screen if I don't have any memory or a hard drive hooked up? (I have a gfx card, cpu, mobo and cd-rom).

If I could pop in my gfx card and turn on the comp. Will I see anything? (as you can tell, I want to use this comp so bad!)

Hey, at least a BIOS? :p
  2. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Yes, you should be able to see something...

You'll get an error message telling you that you don't have any ram installed, and you might be able to get into the BIOS...

But why do you want to use the computer when all you can hope to do is browse the BIOS settings?
  3. SubKamran

SubKamran Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 303

I plugged in my PCI gfx card and got nothing. I had only the CPU and gfx card in.

I'd like to check my CPU temperature. I'd also like to be able to see something for the money I paid :D
  4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

That's actually NOT a stupid question, you know.

A stupid question is one where the answer is already instantly apparent, or which serves no purpose.

"Why are you asleep?" Might be one.
  5. SubKamran

Well, some people may think I'm wierd that I wanna use my comp when there's no RAM or hard drive in it :D

Hmmm, why couldn't I see anything then? Wierd.
  6. Phantasm66

You've got something not seated properly.

I said your question wasn't stupid, I didn't say trying to use your machine with no RAM in it wasn't. It is.
  7. SubKamran

It's one long beep and 2 short beeps. infinitely :p
  8. SubKamran

Ah, "Video adapter not seated properly"

Hmmm, funny. :p I'll try it all again.
  9. SubKamran

Ok, I plugged in an AGP card (Radeon 9800), keyboard and started up. Nothing, same beeps.

The CPU was installed today and it's as secure as anything. I followed instructions so it is perfectly secure.

I'm on a P4P800-Deluxe, I think it still wants memory before anything else. Too bad I don't have any spare DDR laying around since we have no DDR computer.
  10. Phantasm66

RAM is cheap right now, just buy some.
  11. SubKamran

$20 for PC2100. I have $15. :(
  12. SubKamran

I was right, I can't use it until I get RAM. Asus tech support said, "That is also a RAM conflict on this board."

Yay, it's not broken :grinthumb
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.