A64 overclocking help required!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fajoo24

hello everyone.....I want u guys to help me overclock my cpu....I hve a socket 754 Athlon 64 3000+ [2 ghz, Venice core :) ] and Asus K8N mobo (nforce3 250) which is superb for overclocking and 768 mb of ddr400 ram (1*256 + 1*512 mb)....ok now plz tell me how should i go about ocing this cpu as i hve heard these can go upto 2.7-2.8 ghz from stock 2 ghz....

the mobo has option to increase fsb from 200-300 mhz in 1 mhz increment and also pci/agp buses r locked, cpu and mem voltages r adjustable also....also tell me if i need a powerful psu for this, i currently hve 300 wtt generic psu with 12Amps on 12V rail n i m using 1 dvd rom, 1 40 gig ide harddisk and a 7600 gs agp 256 mb gpu on it n they r working ok.....

Thanks n waiting for ur replies...

first off you need to take the off the odd stick of memory, the 256 is just going to hold you back. also, you're gonna want to see what kind of memory the 512 stick is (is it cheapo value ram or is it good stuff?) you might also want to get a better power supply and a better heatsink. running 2.7ghz on this chip won't be a walk in the park and you're gonna need supporting mods to be able to do it.

Socket 754 doest support dual channel RAM so you can keep the 256mb stick. I reccomend the Arctic Cooling 64 Silencer fort the processor. Also get a quality power supply like Antec or Enermax, at least 400w. You will probably have better lock overclocking the processor but not the memory. You should be able to do that with your board. This should help http://www.ocia.net/articles/754oc/754oc.shtml

Ive tried overclocking a 3000+ last year and got it up to 2200mhz.

With the K8N there is (or at least in the K8NE Deluxe) an option in the bios for a straight up 10% overclock. I forget what exactly it changes, but it may be worth doing that initially and then stress testing to make sure its stable there. It should be, but if its not then you know its going to be important to try higher quality RAM or power supply, or maybe just have to be really careful with what settings you tweak.

Long story short - Look to see if there is a 10% overclock option in the BIOS and run that for a bit, then go higher manually.

i would get better ram and a cooler. is there a 754 venice core? correct me if i'm wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back