A7N8X Deluxe Overclock Temp Issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My specs are as follows:

A7N8X Deluxe
Athlon XP 2500+ Barton Core 1.8Ghz
1GB DDR PC3200 PNY
ATI X800 Pro

I am using a Thermalltake tower112 heat sink with 2 fans, link: Here and I installed it last night. Before I was on the old non over clocking fan, I believe a Speeze brand up to 2800+ and had a overclock to 2800+ (2.0 GHz). it was stable and decent temps for that, like 52 ish C Idle and 57-58 Load. Quite high, but I was willing to live with that till the better heat sink arrived. Also during this, Asus's PC Probe Temp monitoring program always gave me a temp about 10 ish degrees lower than the BIOS hardware monitor, if I rebooted to bios. i also trust the BIOS temp. Now that i have the new fan installed, I was fiddling getting more overclock on, and had it at 3200+ (2.2 GHz) and it seemed stable, BIOS was like 45 C, and PC probe was 35, 10 degrees lower. so i was doing my thing, constantly checking PC probe and adding 10 degrees, and stayed around 45 ish, till i rebooted and found it 62 C. so I immediately put to 3000+ (2.1 GHz) and it lowered to 55 ish, and i have had it at that since, and its been wavering from that to 60. All reported as 40 C in pc probe. Another thing is if i touch the copper base of the Tower112 Heat sink, see the picture in the link, its not even warm, same with the rest of the heat sink. I applied the right amount of the good PCM+ Thermal Paste that i bought with it, and install went fine. I’m wondering if there is some size incompatibility with my motherboard, making it not touch the CPU properly, or if i should trust the PC Probe and not the BIOS, or if i should assume the temp is good and ignore both and think a dead temp monitor. ive noticed no problems in games or any typical signs of overheating. I belive i should be able to overclock more than what i could with the old fan, right?

huh?

anyway i fixed my issue by re doing it all, taking it off, cleaning and re applying the paste on both the heatsink and the core. works great now, 45C idle 50 ish load on 3200+ 2.2ghz

Definately sounds to me like there might have been a bubble in the thermal paste on the cpu. Glad to see you got it fixed though. ASUS motherboards used to over-estimate the CPU temperature, but since the Athlon XP and the on-die thermal probe they no longer do that. When in doubt, always trust the higher temperature. Better to err on the side of caution.

yea thats why i go with the bios temp, which is always 10 degrees or more higher than the programs temp. all under 53 is now that it works.

Jkm3141,

The BIOS shows the temperature of the CPU diode, while the ASUS software for Windows shows the temperature of the CPU socket.

I realize this thread is old but it may clarify for those searching on this topic.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back