A7N8X deluxe sound problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i read through the boards here and no one seemed to have a solution.

I own an Asus A7N8X DELUXE board, version 2.0. i am running an amd athlon 3000+ (400fsb), and 1 gig of ram (2x512). i have a radeion 9800pro all in wonder.. and two hard drives.

i reinstalled windows, which for some reason now resides on a harddrive labled G: (and not C:)... and my sound does not work. my speakers do work, since i tested them by plugging them to my mp3 player. I have them plugged into the lime green (middle) plug in the back. the one in between the microphone and line in jack.

sound is detected via the taskbar, but no sound comes out. i conntected a front panel audio to the motherboard via the pins near the AGP slot. and i am able to get sound via that.

so my question is why doesnt the lime green output jack work?? i dont want to plug in my speakers in the front in order to receive sound. it was working fine before i reinstalled windows.

just to let it be known, i upgraded from an athlon 2400 (266fsb).

any help or links to answers would be appreciated. :)

Sounds like a mysterious probelm and may explain why no one has dared to answer your question.

Take a moment to think of the variety of things which would make a speaker-out jack not work on a working sound card...

Settings? I haven't really seen a sound card with seperate software controls over front/rear I/O panel jacks. But of course, I don't have much experience with anything new than Audigy which is a few years old.

Drivers? Again, I don't understand how a driver problem might affect only rear panel and not front panel, but updating your sound driver is recommended regardless. Certainly can't hurt! (Usually anyway. LoL)

Motherboard? Most boards have options to disable/enable sound in the BIOS, but I seriously doubt you can enable/disable front/rear panel jacks independently. Worth checking the manual for though.

Damaged? It wouldn't be the first damaged audio jack I've seen. This would produce your problem, but may or may not be it. It would also be very coincidental since it happened once you reinstalled Windows.

I really can't think of anything unless the information you have provided is somehow incorrect or not complete. What you have said doesn't make much sense and that's what makes this a very bizzare problem to troubleshoot.

If you are still unable to fix it with any ideas you may have gotten from this, it is probably going to require more specific help. Perhaps people who are familiar with this particular audio chip / board combo will be of more assistance. Hopefully someone who knows more about your situation will post and help you out. :)

Ohh, a completely rediculous idea, but if you get bored try disconnecting your front panel headers completely. As unlikely as it is, maybe the the FP audio is not wired properly, affecting the rear panel audio.

more information

more information: i did transfer my motherboard to a new case. i hope i didnt damage the jack.

i also tried many drivers, and no luck. i also tried not connecting the front panel audio, thinking maybe i wired them wrong. but no luck.

i remember a while ago i had the same problem, the audio just didnt work. my solution was to reinstall windows and NOT use the windows given driver. i dont want to do this this time. so for now, i'll use the front panel auido as my main source and plug in the speakers via that area if need be.

how can i test if i damaged the headphone jack?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Check to see that the mobo isn`t shorted against the case anywhere.

Particularly near the input/output connectors. This could cause the exact problem you`re having.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

nleco said:
how can i test if i damaged the headphone jack?

Well, usually I plug in a set of speakers or headphones into the sound card and if there is no sound.. Then you've got yourself a bum sound jack.

The problem here is I am unfamiliar with that sound card, its capabilities and the sotware that is bundled with it. It is always possible there is an option to disable rear audio jacks, but leave front jacks enabled. Oh, the possibilities.:)

At least some motherboards with onboard sound can only output to the back or the front but not both. Check your motherboard documentation. If you want to use the I/O panel jack, jumpers may have to be installed on the audio pins (mobo manual will show/say how, although they might be installed by default). If you want to use the front case outlets, the jumpers are removed and front panel leads are connected.

But since it was fine before, the above probably doesn't apply directly. Still, could a jumper have come off when it was handled?

nleco, I can confirm that mailpup is right about the Asus A7N8X motherboard. You can either have the front audio jack or the rear speak jack, but not both.

I was actually just searching around to see if anyone had found a solution yet (i've been putting up with it for 18mths now). Apparently no-one has :-(

Did you actually have both working previously? That would be very surprising.
I have heard of different problems occuring for different people, but when I had the front audio jack connected I could only get the left channel out of the rear speakers but not the right! I've heard of others not getting any sound.

I disconnected the front audio jack connectors from the motherboard (see the manual for the right pins to remove) and I bought an 'audio hub' (<$10 Aussie) that lets me switch between my speakers and headphones.
Try it and see if that fixes your problem.

Gotta say though, besides this problem i think the motherboard is pretty good

Another Sound query with A7N8X

On the same vein can anyone with the deluxe board confirm if they have 4 x screws around the processor holding the board down?
The reason I ask is because I have never been able to record sound without interference if at all. I have removed the mobo for upgrading and cleaning and noticed 4 spare holes :( - if I remember right I had fitted all supplied brass posts (9).

Thanks in advance.

I was doing some maintenance on my htpc last night. took it out of theater and connected to my olevia lcd. I only got sound during boot up from the motherboard saying something like post successful now booting into operating system. So I guess having it plugged in the middle port is right. just need to fix drivers i guess.

It is a bit late but I have just had this problem when I bought a new case last wednesday. I plugged in the front audio connectors for my new case and when I did I found that the rear audio panel no longer produced sound through the headphones jack. Having thought about what I did over and over again I remembered that I removed two jumpers off the RP connectors on the mobo near the AGP port. I have not yet put them back on but I assume that must be the problem I will post back when I have done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back