TechSpot

A7N8X - temperature too low?!?

By Emohawk
Nov 28, 2003
  1. I upgraded my PC from an AMD XP1800 on a Abit KT7a with 1024MB SDRAM to a AMD XP2500 Barton on a Asus A7N8X Deluxe with 1024MB DDR3200.

Sounds like a good move, however on my old system the CPU temperature used to run at about ~40°C normally and ~44°C under load with a Volcano 11.
    With my new system the temperature apparently idle's about ~29°C normally and ~35°C under load, again with a Volcano 11.

In both cases I used the latest version of MotherBoard monitor and the software supplied with the motherboads to confirm this. Has anybody had a problems with the Asus A7N8X deluxe version giving inaccurate system information such as CPU temperature?

I'd like to believe my CPU is running at that temperature but I just need to know wether this is a known bug with the board. None of my searches have produced anything yet...

Also another 'problem' I have noticed which I find quite perculiar is that whenever I do something with the PC (such as click a desktop icon) the pitch of the CPU fan changes. It's noticable even to the untrained ear.

Emohawk

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Check to see if you haven't enabled "Q-FAN CONTROL" in the BIOS. This is a feature that sets the speed of your fans ( the ones connected to the motherboard, not the Molex connectors ) according to temperature. It can sometimes get a bit buggy & mess around the speed of the fans for no reason.

As far as the CPU temperature goes, ASUS boards sometimes have the bad habit of giving different temperature readings in between BIOS versions. You could upgrade to a newer BIOS & see those temps go up 10°C. Anyways, if you try to touch your heatsink & it's warm, then you can pretty much trust the reading. If it happens to be very hot, but the program reports around 25/35°C, then you have a problem. Don't forget, we're in a cold season right now, nothing says you'll have such low temps, once winter is over.;)

You can ask around though, there are quite a few users who have the 2500+.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.