A7N8X-VM BIOS issue

By Page2564
Aug 16, 2004
  1. I am putting a computer together for my roomate with an A7N8X-VM 400 motherboard and I am stuck. It had the 402 BIOS installed, the not needed XP stuff turned off, and a bunch of programs installed. All I had left to do was update the BIOS to the 1003 because I had heard that there were some issues with the 1002 BIOS and some newer games? I have not seen that info here so I wish I had found this place sooner, but there was some issue with the Asusupdate tool or a bad BIOS download. Now it wont even start the POST. All the the fans startup, all the drives spin up, but the onboard video will not send a signal out. I put in a working video card and it still wont work. I hooked the display to my computer and it works fine. If any of you guys know anything that might help please let me know.
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Is there a jumper on the mobo with which to switch the onboard video on/off?

You could also try it with either a PCI or an AGP graphics card. One of them is bound to work.
  3. Page2564

Page2564 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Good idea!

I should have thought to check for a jumper when I was trying the PCI & AGP video cards. I checked the Motherboard and could not find a jumper that I didn't know what it was for. I checked there site and the motherboard user guide and there was no jumper. Thank you anyway, I think I am just going to send it back... I hate it when a computer beats me.
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Most newer mobo's automatically switch off the onboard graphics when you insert a PCI or AGP card. Did you try that?
  5. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

from what you say about bad BIOS download or "something", sounds like you hosed the BIOS, you might try force flashing the BIOS by using the flash file from a bootable floppy rather than using the updater app from within Windows. Occasionally force flashing a damaged BIOS can fix it.
  6. Page2564

Thanks for the info guys
    RealBlackStuff: I pulled a working PCI card from my dad's working box and it did not work in mine, and I pulled an AGP card from my old computer (It still works, just not as good as my new one) and it did not work any more.

StormBringer: I am going to try that later on tonight. I will post back when I have tried it.
  7. Page2564

Still no luck. It still will not work. It is going back. Thanks guys.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.