A7n8x-x Suspend To Ram Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE HELP !!

I recently upgraded my PC. I now have an A7N8X-X (Rev 2.0) running an AMD 3200+ and also a pair of 512MB DDR500 memory sticks. My OS is XP Pro. The system runs fine but....
When I try and switch my system to stanby, windows goes to standby (expected), my monitor switches off ( expected ) and I can hear my hard drives power down ( expected ). The problem is, my power pack does not power down and although the system is in standby the power and all my fans stay on. I have selected the STR option from the BIOS (1010). Are there any jumpers I need to enable / disable ? I'm going crazy here !!
Thanks
:hotbounce

There are usually two suspend modes with most boards. S1 and s3, use s3 if you want the fans off. S1 leaves the fans on.

Thanks for your help. :grinthumb
But get this.....the BIOS on the A7N8X-X (version 1010) hasn't got the option for S1 or S3, just "ACPI STR". I laughed. I thougth most BIOS supported this option, but oh no, not MY mobo. So I'm back where I started, any ideas, you seem like a knowledgable person. Dont make me beg. :giddy:
Thanks

So your bios just has a suspend to ram(str) listing with the options: enable/disable?(Is it enabled?)

Is your bios the latest bios? A newer one(if available) may fix the issue.

S3 itself is referred to as suspend to ram(STR), and S1 is called POS(not what your thinking :), it's power on suspend, hence the fans are running). So if your bios has suspend to ram, it should be in s3 mode. S3 doesn't always work if your hardware isn't completely compatible, s1 works more easily.

I don't know what else to say without knowing more. Hope it helps.

I have the same board

I believe it will only support 400mhz ram.
I could easily be wrong but if it's true this could be a prob.
Just somthing to check out.
The A7N8X-E deluxe rawks!
How are you liking the A7N8X-X so far,
barring the current prob?

Well, funnily enough, my last board was a A7N8X deluxe . And yes, it rocked. Thought I'd try something different this time round. The A7N8X-X seems to be a stripped down version of the deluxe. Not sure about it yet. But I gotta say, I ran my DDR500 memory sticks on it, and guess what ? S3 worked like a dream. Do you think I should flash an earlier bios ? One that has S3 support ? :rolleyes:

Happy Thought

Thx for that happy thought :rolleyes:
Surely, somebody must be having the same problem as me? I'm guessing this is a BIOS issue since there are a lack of power management options in the BIOS power settings. Anyone else having these problems ?
:confused:

jaysg28 said:
Thx for that happy thought :rolleyes:
Surely, somebody must be having the same problem as me? I'm guessing this is a BIOS issue since there are a lack of power management options in the BIOS power settings. Anyone else having these problems ?
:confused:
Hi, I'm having the same problem. Could you do anything to solve it meanwhile? If you have any solution, please let us know. Thanks.

There is an easy way to solve this problem:
Just download ftp.microsoft.com/products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi/dumppo.exe and execute it in the CMD like "dumppo admin minsleep=s3".
After it, the STR-mode worked without problems.

These boards are very picky about RAM ensure you have a brand/ type recommended by the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back