A7N8X-X Won't turn off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mcaddy

I have just built a system using the Asus A7n8X-x mobo all seems fine the power button turns the machine on and if pressed initaites the shutdown, however the system restarts as if the reset button has been pressed? the button does turn the computer of if held down for 5 or so seconds so I don't think i've got the connections wrong?

ANy ideas

P.S. I'm running XP Prof 512MB ram AMD Athalon XP 2600+

Maybe its a BIOS option? Sometimes you could set it so your power button does different things.

If you're sure that you wired your connections right for the power switch, I'd look into the BIOS settings.

Microsoft has also released a Knowledge Base concerning ATX motherboards. The power button power the system down, but does not power it off or it resets it. That could be an option in your BIOS, but Microsoft claims that software like Roxio's easy cd creator 5 will cause a system to not power down properly, there is also other software that is known to do the same. Check that out.

If you have a cable modem or DSL go into the BIOS and under Wake Events make sure everything is turned off. The signals coming through the NIC are making the computer boot up. I had the same problem, thought my house was haunted.

Checked BIOS options

WOL is disabled
Power button is set to turn off
Restart on Power failure is disabled

I've only got a very basic XP install at the moment so no specalist software

ASUS A7N8X-X won't shut down

I am having the same problem. Have XP Pro installed, and have checked all power settings in the control panel and the BIOS. Everything is disabled and turned off.

The machine shut down properly immediately after a clean install of XP on a brand new HD, but then would not shut down properly after I installed the board drivers.

(Tech support where I bought it is claiming it is a windows issue and is telling me to reinstall windows in a new directory-been there, done that, didn't work.)

I am going to attempt to get the most recent drivers for the board and the chipset. In the meantime, any other ideas?

Thanks.

I'm fixed now, sorry, I really can't remember how I fixed it, vaugley recollect something about Norton Anti virus(maybe), or was it new drivers? I really can't remember

Sorry I'm no more help

Good Luck

Mike Caddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back