TechSpot

ABIT IS7-V2 Mobo - problems booting up

By Danamack
Mar 19, 2005
  1. Recently I replaced a perfectly working AMD 1.8 GHz processor (WIN XP SP2) and Soyo Mobo with an ABIT IS7-V2 and Celleron 2.93 GHz combo from Tiger Direct. Afrer building, it would POST OK then hang at the processor ID display line. I could go into CMOS setup OK, but hangs again on save. Finally got a hold of an ABIT tech and he said I had to reinstall WIN XP because of the change in CPUs. (Arrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!). OK, so I did it and finally got it to boot to Windows. Got everything tweaked again, but this Mobo will not boot up warm. I have to shut down the power supply, pull the power plug. Wait, turn ON, and retry, sometimes several times. It may then come up. Sometimes, I have to clear CMOS and try again. I've done the Live Flash thing with ABIT only to find out that it already has the latest Bios version. I'm ready to rip it out unless someone may have a suggestion. Once up, everything works fine.

2. dopefisher

dopefisher TS Rookie Posts: 444

this is not in response to your problem, but why did you replace an excellent athlon chip with a crappy celeron chip??? the athlon is most likely much better than the celeron, regardless of speed. im guessing you have an xp 2800+ athlon, which is supposed to be equivalent to a pentium 2.8ghz. celerons are the low grade intel chips (pentiums are the higher grade and so are the athlons), so i dont see why you "upgraded."

3. Danamack

Danamack TS Rookie Topic Starter

ABIT IS7-V2 Mobo Problems

You are right.
    I've used AMD CPUs the last few years in building 8 or 10 new PCs.
    This is only the second time I've tried Celeron - thought the speed would be greater, but I don't think the performance reflects in the clock speed.
    The 'thing' is booting consistently now. I removed the second HDD which was on a key-lock selectable boot system. I had a clue that the IS7-V2 Mobo was looking at the WIN98 drive on the Primary-slave connector first (eventhough it wasn't selected), and was hanging there.
    I may put the old Mobo back in - it worked fine with 2 operating systems on 2 selectable drives.

Thanks for the input.

Danamack

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.