Abit KT7 RAID and FX 5200 not compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, new to these boards, but not computers... I sure feel like it today though...

Having a rough time installing my new graphics card, an AGP Rosewill GeForce FX 5200 128 MB.

The BIOS will just NOT pick up the card, and/or put the display on the monitor. I have tried reflashing BIOS, clearing CMOS, running the display to my TV via S-video, reseating the card, tweaking BIOS settings using my old card, but I get nothign but a black screen.

I have always had good luck with Nvidia products (TNT2, GeForce MX 400 were the last 2 cards in this machine), and would like to have faith in this one as well, is it possible I just have a bad card?

Here are the rest of my specs:

Abit KT7 RAID
AMD 1Ghz
512 MB SD ram
SB Live!
Etherlink III Ethernet card
CD burner
single 40 Gig HD
and that's IT!

Nothing else (except a pair of case fans) draw power, and I have removed everything but the vid card to troubleshoot, but am having zero luck. Nothing is overclocked, it all runs at stock speed and voltage.

ANY help or suggestions will be appreciated, thanks!

The monitor works, my other 2 vid cards fire it up with no problem.

I have tried adjusting the AGP aperture size using a good card, and switching to the FX5200, no dice. Fail-safe defaults...well, fail. Cursing seems to amuse my PC.

I have a 250W PSU, which is the minimum spec for the card, but even then, if it is that power hungry, unplugging everything but the CPU, video card and HD (including case fans) should free up the needed voltage.

The PC boots, CD spins, HDD light blinks, etc. I think Windows craps out when it can't find the vid card either, the PC shuts down by itself after 30 secs or so.

I think this card is going back to newegg.com, if the new one does the same, a PSU swap is next. If I still have no luck, judicious use of a hammer is in order. :evil:

Could be very well a bad card or possibility a MObo this is remote .I never had any problem nvidia cards in past .. And well to be honest that card will go in any atx board...Also get a like BFG ,Aopen rosewill toward bottom of Nividia card makers...

same prob

I have exactly same prob.
same machine spec as yours expect atholon 1.2

The agp card works fine(tested on another machine)

Tech support at ABIT advise following

KT7 serial boards can not support any of GF4 FX cards.
Technical Dept.
Abit Computer Corp., Ltd. U.K.

Please let me know if you find out otherwise :knock:

Dammit! :mad:

Just got my replacement card from newegg, and that does not work either.

Now I have to buy a cheap MoBo....

Anyone reccomend an Athlon Socket A board that has 4x agp and supports pc133 ram? AND the GeForce FX5200? :unch:

The whole idea of buying a cheap gfx card was to get me by so I do not have to buy a whole new computer. I can't afford a new motherboard AND memory AND a new CPU... Christ this is annoying....

I would go with a Asus board great boards and they support 4x and 8x agp .. And send the ABIT back to its maker..

Ixion-share your frustration - I have just bought a GeForce FX and I have KT7-RAID; now looks like I have to replace mobo too. Thks to nil8 post i can stop wasting my time trying to fix this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back