Abit Mobo Problem!!! Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright here is the story, I went to bed last night turning off my comp after getting everything up and running from the XP install. This morning i wake up, and press the power button and all it gives me is flashing front and cpu fan LEDs. I check and make sure everything is connected and still it does this to me. I know there is power going to the motherboard becaues the digital temp readout on it is on. Only thing is nothing else turns on, no psu, no fans, nothing, not even as much as a hint of life in them. I am wondering what the problem is i just got and put together this computer 3 days ago and it was working fine. Now it doesnt even start, it makes me sick to my stomach. Greatly appreciate it if anyone can help me out i dont like the thought of having a broken component in the first few days, this is my dream comp :dead: .

-frodre

(I am running a Abit AA-8 Duramax Mobo w/ 500W Rosewill PSU)

Okay

Alright I took my 500 W PSU out of the comp and put in the 400W, and this time everything turned on for a few seconds and then turned off and then 15 seconds later turned on again. Im thinking something is shorting out or that the PSU doesnt have enough stuff to power system. What do you guys think. Its an improvement over a few led lights but whats the deal.

If you short the green to any black wire on your 500w psu it should fire up, if it doesnt then its probably had it.

Alright I read the 500W PSU Manual and it says it doesnt turn on when it detects something shorting, so i looked behind mobo and there was a screw....nearly made me cry...it was stuck to the mobo tray so im guessing that it did short out...is there any way to fix it without having to get another mobo? :dead: :dead: :dead:

I'd take out the cmos battery for a few minutes in case anything has been corrupted. There's a fair chance the board is tucked.

Couldn't it just malfunction while the screw was shorting out, and work when the screw is removed? I don't think it'd have to be fried, but it could be...

Best wishes.
vnf4ultra

man, you can only hope it didn't short. Always check for loose screws. They can turn your motherboard into a paperweight in a second.

Best case scenario, you can reset your motherboard if it isn't jacked up by resetting the CMOS.
Next best is the motherboard needs to be replaced and your CPU/ memory are still salvagable.

Im Just gonna send it back and hope they repair it or send me a new one. I just bought it so the warranty shouldnt be a problem. I just hope cpu and memory are alright...

yes. The only way to really tell if there was damage is to reboot. Remove all compents except for the necessary ones. All cards except video, memory and cpu. Then boot.
If it doesn't boot, reset the CMOS. (remove and reset battery). Try and reboot. if it doesn't POST your motherboard and/or components are fried. Replace the motherboard. Then try rebooting with your old CPU and old memory, if it boots, run MEMTEST86 on your memory and check it for damage.
Run a thorough video tester (like on norton systemworks) to test your video. Or go into your display under controls and check it there.

I took out everything off the mobo and left nothing on, and put the 400 W PSU back on there, and i noticed that it didnt have the Right ATX Power COnnecter ( 4 holes were left open on the MOBO) and i noticed the Northbridge fan ran and diddnt stop running, does that mean anything. I tried it with the 500 W PSU and it didnt do anything, but also i cant be sure if the PSU is faulty or not because the 500 W one shuts off if it detects a short as not to damage anything? Is there any way to test it?

To answer part of your question, check your motherboard's documentation. Some motherboards are tolerant of using a 20 pin connector on a 24 pin motherboard. You just have to make sure the correct four pins are left open. My MSI motherboard is that way. That said, you can get a 20 pin to 24 pin adapter like I did for about $4.00 (usd).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back