1. I have just built a pc to the following spec:

Black 350w Nokia Case
    Abit VT7 Motherboard
    P4 2.8GHz Processor
    512Mb Kingston RAM
    Maxtor 80Gb Hard Drive
    GeForce 5700le Galaxy GFX Card
    BTC DVD-RW

I have then installed Windows XP Home edition SP2, once XP had installed I began the process of loading the drivers supplied with the motherboard, I installed the 4 in 1 driver and restarted as requested. I then installed the Audio driver, during the installation it said that it wasn’t supported by windows and did I want to continue anyway, I clicked continue. After this had installed it prompted me to restart once again. On restart it froze & restarted again, then when it finally loaded the desktop screen it said windows has just recovered from a “serious error”. I don’t have the pc connected to the net, so I couldn’t forward this message onto Microsoft. But this is what it said:
    “c:\docume~1\juliep~1\locals~1\temp\wer94dc.dir00\mini112304-02.dmp”
    “c:\docume~1\juliep~1\locals~1\temp\wer94dc.dir00\sysdata.xml”
    I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the audio driver, but the problem is still occurring, please can someone advise me of some things to check or change...

2. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 783

Hello and Welcome to Techspot, Mankos.

You will need to get and put driver in your Hard drive [C:\Drivers\*]

Remember you installed WIndows XP wrong way.

Right way:

1. Install a fresh version of Windows XP Pro or HE
    2. Install WinXP SP2
    3. Motherboard Drivers
    4. Install Microsoft DirectX 9.0C
    5. Video Card Drivers

Then you are done. Have fun. (You got error message from Audio Installation because you are using wrong version of drivers. Try to get correct and latest driver and put it in C:\Drivers\*. When you are ready, go on and install it!

3. Mankos

Mankos TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for that Bushwhacker...

I'll give it a try and let you know how i get on..

4. Mankos

Mankos TS Rookie Topic Starter

Just a quick note...

The Windows XP Home version i have is SP2. Will this cause me any problems??

5. mindspin

mindspin TS Rookie Posts: 40

Before im ever going to perform a format, I always check for recent available drivers. Burn them on a cd to easily install them right after XP finished the setup. Most of the time drivers delivered on CD's are older then versions supplied on the internet, i would suggest always downloading the newest version of the drivers (if supported by your OS version offcourse).

edit: You dont have an XP installation with the original unpatched Windows XP? If you have, try installing that one and dont upgrade to SP2. After that install the recent drivers

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.