About a new build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjaminha

Hi,
Here goes, Im looking to build a new pc, including monitor etc for around £600- £800. I already have a x800xl, which i'll keep and an antec 450 psu. I have a gig of kingston ram,2x 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) which I'd like to keep but will change if necessary.
Has anybody got any suggestions of a good build based around an sli mobo (im going to upgrade to this when x800 starts gettin old) and an amd chip. Maybe the 3800 dual core,
Thanks for any help guys. Be nice this is my first build.

he already stated his budget. which if i have done my conversion correctly would amount to about $1100-$1500 USD

Looks good, but I already have a graphics card and crossfires right theres no way newegg does uk unfortunately as theyre loads cheaper than elsewhere.

What about the am2 socket seeing as 939 is getting phased out eventually? And yeah the budget is around $1500. AQlso does anyone think sli is worth it? Ive been given sugestions that money to performance ratio just isnt worth it?

i dont think its worth it because you get 2 brand new cards and then sometyning new comes out that is better then your two cards combined so it may be good for 6 months but thats about it IMO

keep your x800 until directX10 cards come out. DX10 games are already in the works, since you have a decent card now, it's just not worth buying any video card right now to have it obsolete in another year.

I don't mean that the card would be useless in a year, but the newer games will be made for DX10, and i would be pissed if i couldn't play them on an expensive SLI setup that I bougght only a year ago.

... just something to consider, that's all.

Dunno if this'll be of use, but if you're buying the stuff online there are 2 decent stores I know of, scan.co.uk and savastore.co.uk
Here's the 3800+ at both
scan.co.uk
and savastore here
It seems you save a tenner at savastore in this round. It's a real shame though us europeans can't use that newegg store, the prices are unmatched. Just to annoy here's the 3800 at newegg.
That translates as about £150. :( You yanks just don't know how good you have it.

paranoid guy said:
:( You yanks just don't know how good you have it.
hehe :)

yes we do indeed love our good old newegg :D

I don't know why the won't ship outside the US, they won't even ship to Canada! Maybe the shipping costs would be too high and people wouldn't buy from them?? i dunno.

Just another thought if you're looking to save money is Ebay. Alot of people on this forum are Ebay-phobes and think that all Ebay sellers are no good crooks, but this is simply false. I buy almost all of my PC parts off Ebay (because I can ususally get brand new parts even cheaper than newegg (though the shipping can be higher depending on the seller, so watch out for that). most sellers will ship internationally as well. but the UK has it's own Ebay anyways so that probably wouldn't be an issue anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back