About ATI Radeon 9800XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazdude

well,, right now i got an onboard S3G video card which is a piece of junk so i have decided to change it. it will be my b day soon so ill ask for a new video card. i was thinking about the AGP ATI Radeon 9800XT. i stil dont know if i could intall it on my computer. ill give some specs

Processor: Intel Celeron with 2.93 Ghz and 29300 Mhz
Ram:512 MB of ram
Hardrive: 149 Gb
Operatin System: Microsoft Windos XP Media Centre
17" Phillips LCD Monitor

well thats all i can think of right now, can anyone gimme some help here? if u need to know more specs to be able to help just ask and ill give.

Try downloading it here then: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/CPU-Z.shtml

We need to know who made your motherboard, and what model it is. This will tell us whether or not it will accept that video card you are thinking of buying. We know your current motherboard has onboard graphics. Sometimes those boards will not let you put a new video card on them so before you buy, we need to make sure you'll be able to use it.

ok i donwloaded the stuff, ill put som stuff i ddint know

its a Celeron D processor, aint sure what it means
under BIOS it says the following and also says Intel Celeron 340 beside name

Brand: American Megatrends Inc.
and it says it was created on 04/21/05

aint sure if any of this info helps, need more tell me where to look

well u obviously have a 4 month old comp, and celeron D means dual celeron processors, uh like that one dude said u cant completely know if u can or not without the mobo specs but uhh get ur comp manal out and it should talk about ur motherboard and the slots, see if it has pci slots or agp slots or both then we can tell u if u can get that card.

mobo= motherboard
If ya didnt know. :rolleyes:

I thought that the D meant dual core only for the Pentium D... not celeron.... and it is his BIOS update that is only 4 months old... not his computer. :rolleyes:

Anyways, back to crazdude. In that program you downloaded there is a tab at the top for "mainboard". That is the info we need. What does it say your motherboard "manufacturer" and "model" is?

crazdude said:
ok i donwloaded the stuff, ill put som stuff i ddint know

its a Celeron D processor, aint sure what it means
under BIOS it says the following and also says Intel Celeron 340 beside name

Brand: American Megatrends Inc.
and it says it was created on 04/21/05

aint sure if any of this info helps, need more tell me where to look

ive seen pentium d and celeron d he has a celeron d not pentium :rolleyes:

ive seen pentium d and celeron d he has a celeron d not pentium

Yes, there are celeron D processors out there, but I don't believe they are dual core. Only the pentium D processors are unless I am mistaken.

alright, it has both agp and pci slots, only one agp tho and 3 pci, i got my wireless internet card on a pci so i got 2 free. On the agp there isa little sticker that says 3.3v AGP slot, please do not intall card that has more than 3.3v or computer can take damage. something close to that.

and well, it doesnt give me a manufactorer its blank but model says this

Model: 775VM8

well, in manufactorer its blank. hope this is of any use. Cuz dang if i cant put a new vid card then my life sucks. and i aint putting a PCI on it.

Good news my friend.

From ATI:

"System Requirements
RADEON® 9800 Series of products requires connection to your PC's internal power supply for operation. Consult your system builder or OEM to ensure your system has an adequate power supply. Otherwise, ATI recommends a 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.
Intel® Pentium® 4, AMD® Athlon® or higher with AGP 8X (0.8v), 4X (1.5V) or Universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration (8X/4X)
128MB of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive"

The 9800XT should work on your 1.5v slot.

The next question then, is whether or not your PSU can handle it. I know you said you have a 350w PSU, is it a cheapy? What make is it? (Take a look on the PSU for a label inside).

P.S. upgrading to a gig of ram would also make a big difference on your system for games. Also keep in mind that with that motherboard, you also have some good options for upgrading your CPU in the future. You currently have a celeronCPU which are not great for gaming, but maybe for christmas you can ask for a Pentium4 670 :p

i know, well i was thinking bout that. well ill chcekc my PSU later. the last time i cheke i only remember seeing something that said designed for pentium 4, lol. and yah ive been thinking about upgrading to a gig of ram. but wud u think it wud work?

yup dude thats exactly my motherboard. see thats the S3G video card i was talking about, i wasnt thiking much of gaming when my dad got the pc.

wait with a few exeption like am prett sure the agp slot has a bit more vlotage the card is onboard intergrated. but everything else am pretty sure its the same. about getting a p4. do u mean getting a new pc, processor or motherboard?

ATI Radeon9800 XT - I'm going Wacky

I recently built a PC on a budget. I got Abit KV7-V mobo with Athlon xp 2800+, 1gb ddr400 ram, and 160gb sata raid and Nvidia FX5500 all for about $400.

The Nvidia was not the best on games and Doom3 was a chalenge. I replaced it with some wacky knock of e-bay deal card having the radeon9800 xt chip w/256 ram

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5226479650&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

I have a 19" LCD 12ms DVI input monitor and using the DVI inputs and with the Radeon9800XT I can run games very well and 2d is great as well. Problem I keep having is that when I switch from games to my desktop I get color hair lines buzzing across the whole screen (like interference of sort, or bad refresh rate) and to remedy that I have to switch the refresh rate from 60hz to 75hz and it goes away. Than it starts again when switching from games and sometime just on its own and I have to go from 75hz to 60hz and it goes away. I'm going nuts from this ! I have tried all possible drivers, included ones (junk) Ms native ones and the latest Catalyst drivers, all do the same ! I have receded the card, I have an extra fan under it (ram runs pretty hot even with heat sink) still keeps doing it !

I have the VIA chipset which I see some of you guys said may have some issues with win XP Pro and radeon cards. Abit KV7-V has BIOS 15 out I have 13 but I hate flashing BIOS (got burned once..lol !) but I was going to anyway, however I did not see any of these issues addressed when reading the BIOS 15 fixes. I have the latest VIA chipset drivers on XP pro (I hope)
5.1.0.3442 dated 7/2/2003 (the agp controler3.0 driver in DM)

I'm at a conclusion that I have gimped card ! Mom said I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things, gues she may be right ($137 for the card)

Is there anything else to try ?? anyone, anyone ?

thanks in advance,

Gor :bounce:

but u still managed to get card working with the via chipset? well, thats a relief for me at least, lol. i was worried it wouldnt work.

see due whenevr i have scren problems and got no clue what to do i just erboot my dam pc, lol, not healthy tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back