About DVD ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyferd

I want to ask the best DVD ROM, because I want to buy one. I know this topic was already discussed and everyone said Lite On and Pioneer is the best.
But I need to know your opinion/review about ASUS DVD ROM. Because I think this product is better than Lite One or Pioneer.
You can read the specification here :

ASUS DVD ROM Specification

Thanks

Originally posted by guyferd
everyone said Lite On and Pioneer is the best.
I didn't :giddy:
While that drive looks good, keep in mind that faster = noisier. 16x DVD / 48x CD-R sounds loud. It might be a concern when watching movies or listening to music. Fortunately, there are utilities that lower the drive speed.
I have Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1212, about three years old, and it's still working great.

yup

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

While that drive looks good, keep in mind that faster = noisier. 16x DVD / 48x CD-R sounds loud. It might be a concern when watching movies or listening to music. Fortunately, there are utilities that lower the drive speed.

Yup, that's right. But I guess you must see the ASUS DVD ROM specification in that link. It says ASUS DVD have a built-in ASUS patented DDSS II for excellent vibration and noise control. :grinthumb

I still don't understand if someone said Lite On or Pioneer is the best. You can see, ASUS DVD support UDMA 100 (I think it's the first DVD drive that support UDMA 100). Support Dolby Digital, DTS, AC-3 and more.. more.. more.... :D
And don't forget, it supports all dvd format (my friend bought Pioneer DVD ROM, and it can't read DVD-5).

So.... which one is the best ?? :D

I'd trust ASUS, they make very good products, for the money.
Everyone has their own opinion for brands though, i.e.: Mictlantecuhtli with his Toshiba.
I've had a pretty good experience with my AOpen, it's about 2-3 years old. It has just the right balance of speed/noise :D
As I said, we all have our opinions ;)
Go ahead and go with your ASUS, it'll be great :grinthumb
Pioneers are excellent drives too...

Man, I do not have good organizational skills...

I agree. Go with the ASUS. And give us all an update a few months down the road. The specs sound great. The positive comments on Lite On and Pioneer are simply a result of years of tried and true use. That doesn't mean that the ASUS drive isn't every bit as good or better...just untested. That's why we're here, to let each other know new things.

Hi, i got the Asus a week ago, and the very first thing i noticed was how quiet it is, i previously had a tray-load pioneer,, mmmm, me likes quiet things :)

I don't think it really matters unless your are copying DVDs. I have a 4 year old 4x DVD-ROM that still plays DVDs without any problems whatsoever.

I would just get the most quiet one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back