About virutal memory please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUDEBWOY

i set the system to let the pc manage its paging file but it seems they sometimes my pc will get like a 2 second delay lag here and there how can i revert back to the normal settings cause its not there and i don't know the amount of mbs to set it back to.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f351/rudebwoyx/Untitled.jpg

thats the current settings how can i revert it back to its normal size befor i changed it etc.

The default is to let the OS manage the pagefile. Only you can know what you hed there before. I would say that an initial size of 512MB and max of your RAM should be ok.

If you are doing something that causes you to use more than that, then something is Wrong..

well i got 3 gig ram but would me turning off vm affect anything at all?im also adding another gig ram soon

i was told by a friend that disabling vm & just using your system memory would actually speed up programs as it would force windows to use your system memory which is much faster then transfering it all to your hd.
@ the time i was used to a 512mb machine so the speed increse i've noticed recently with my new machine may just be the newer & much faster machine. But i've had no problems at all without using vm.

Whatever you personal preferences are. At least you got your computer fixed :) !

punksoul257 said:
i was told by a friend that disabling vm & just using your system memory would actually speed up programs as it would force windows to use your system memory which is much faster then transfering it all to your hd.
@ the time i was used to a 512mb machine so the speed increse i've noticed recently with my new machine may just be the newer & much faster machine. But i've had no problems at all without using vm.
But all the unused parts of program memory would be hogging your RAM, reducing the amount of memory available for disk caching. It's good to have some swap available so that unused memory pages can be moved out of the way of more active ones.

Exonimus said:
I'm not sure if you can get the original amount back. A good rule of thumb is 2x the ram you have.
This 'rule of thumb' is wrong. I think anymore, the goal is to get rid of it, not have twice as much.

I'm just wondering what the limit for Vista is if any?
8GB for basic, 16GB for Premium and 128GB for other versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back