aboutDisk images hidden partitions and dual booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

chessonly

Using xp , 20gb harddisk, ntfs partitons

1. installing 2 windows doesn't create a boot menu, so i hav to manually change the active partition tag everytime i want to switch betweenseparate winsdows installations
So can someone suggest tutorials,links for some nice tips or software for dualbooting.
Even my drive letters change when switch from one windows to another.
In short help me to hav control over my partitions.

2.As my topic says i use disk images(acronis) of my Windows drive regularly, i.e make image of windows drive, and copy it to another drive (for dual booting)or on the same drive(as a backup) this works fine except when i try to install 2 diff images in different primary partitions(which i guess is necessary).
what happens is that my other partitons become hidden. y does this happen and how can i prevent it?

I am rather confused abt this so plz help if u can :dead:

Thank you

Thx but i already knew abt boot.ini
the thing is i need a more permanent solution as i am constantly partitioning and reinstalling windows(coz of nlite).
some reliable bootmanager for ntfs.

and y do those drive letters keep changing?

You can have only ONE active partition with that type of setup. This should be the first partition on the master-HD on the primary IDE-controller (in other words your C: drive).
Install XP on C:. When you then do a next install of XP on another partition, or drive even, it will create the bootmenu.
If you take an image before you install your second XP, and later restore that image on the same original partition, your boot-info will be overwritten.

i am constantly partitioning and reinstalling windows(coz of nlite)
What for? The program is still in beta, so good luck to you...

Partition Magic has a good bootmanager, as probably does Acronisl, and a raft of other utils on the market.

What for? The program is still in beta, so good luck to you...

What for u ask. well since i am on pIII 550Mhz (with no plans of upgrade), nlite has like a free processor upgrade.
i mean a winxp cd with a size of 150 MB is bound to to fast. :eek:

Partition Magic has a good bootmanager, as probably does Acronisl, and a raft of other utils on the market.

this is where i fail :( . want something that's independant of windows.
Found zboot, i'll try that.

k i'll try grub.
currently using boot.ini, though drive letters r still changing :(

I don't understand the last post about a free processor upgrade and a fast XP CD, what are you smoking?

Nlite is a program which allows tomodify any windows cd. so can remove certain 'features' that i don't use.
so to makethings fast i made a barebones system froma 150mb cd i.e nlite removed crap from 620mb cd to make it 150MB!!! so in a way its like getting a processor upgrade.
and obviousy things r much smoother. iam a novice though, xp can even run with 64mb ram if tweaked by an expert.

I personally have never seen XP run on 64mg. of RAM...
Not to say it can't be done i just don't see it.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back