Absolutely nothing works - this is weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi There,

I hope someone can help.

My son's PC failed so it was time to upgrade.
I bought a new Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2 motherboard, new AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Dual-Core Processor, new Patriot 2G SL DDR2 Ram and a new Power Supply. I'm using the old case.

I've been out of the hardware upgrade process for a little while but there certainly didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary. Turned on the power and turned on the PC and NOTHING. Nothing seems to work, no power seems to be active and I'm stumped as to what to do next.

My case doesn't have a CI (Chassis Intrusion) or CLR_CMOS (Clear CMOS) connection and apart from those 2 minor omissions, everything seems normal.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this one?

Here are few things to check:

Motherboard shorting to case. Try running the system with the motherboard outside the case.

Processor installed incorrectly or wrong type for motherboard

All power supply cables to the motherboard not connected or seated

Case Power Switch not connected to the proper pins on the motherboards front panel header

Thanks for your quick reply, Tmagic650

Have got the mobo outside case on some anti-static plastic with nothing touching the case, have checked processor installation and seating. PSU cables checked, seated fine. Rechecked power switch pins to mobo. still no go.

Need to now ensure CPU that I bought is suitable for the mobo (which I'm sure it is but will double check). It's all very bizarre.

Also test the power supply. You could buy/ borrow a power supply tester for extensive testing, but I find using the shorting method just to see if it will power up is fine (for me at least), however I know just about anyone here will disagree with this method as its fairly dodgy.

Go to http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/power-supply/atx-psu-pinouts.gif for diagram

You want to connect the PS_ON and the GND above it using a piece of copper wire, then giving power to the PSU. If you get the fan inside turning on then you know its "probably" ok, and therefore could be a mobo prob. Try checking the CMOS battery which is required to turn pc on.

Other than that, basically what Tmagic said.

I would also swap the power supply. I have seen more DOA (dead on arrival) motherboards though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back