Absolver is a new online combat RPG that strips out the guns and projectiles

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’s been refreshing to see the number of non-traditional games crop up over the past year or so. While there’s certainly nothing wrong with first-person shooters like Battlefield, driving games like Forza or MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, sometimes you’re just in the mood for something a bit different.

The freshman effort from Sloclap takes the familiar MMORPG formula and strips out the guns / projectile weapons, leaving what the independent studio describes as an online combat RPG.

In Absolver, gamers assume the role of a Prospect that has taken a sacred vow to join an elite corps of combatants known as the Absolvers that fight to maintain the stability of the world. They’ll wander the forsaken lands of the fallen Adal Empire, encountering other Prospects (online) while learning new combat styles and attacks that’ll help them acquire better armor, weapons and powers.

The game will feature fluid, real-time combat in which players – either in solo duels or 3-on-3 battles – can position themselves in one of four tactical stances to execute attacks, dodges and parries.

Pierre de Margerie, creative lead at developer Sloclap, said Absolver is the result of their combined experiences in game development and that they believe the team has created something special together.

For those not familiar, the Sloclap team is comprised of artists, designers and programmers that have worked on games such as Watch Dogs and the Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon series.

Sloclap and Devolver Digital will debut the game at E3 next month despite the fact that it won’t launch until 2017.

Permalink to story.

I kinda wish the textures were a bit better. Looks a bit old graphically, but hey that may have been their intentions.

Looks cool! I personally like the idea of leaving out weapons. Oh and I think the graphics were meant to look like that. Also cool.

I kinda wish the textures were a bit better. Looks a bit old graphically, but hey that may have been their intentions.
the textures themselves are just fine. it might just not be your cup of tea because it's very stylised. from what I see in the video it looks really well done and the colors are amazing.
also the ingame textures should look cleaner and more detailed than in these small jpg pictures.

World of mortal combat online? Doesnt seem that new but it might be intresting depending on what else you can do other than just punch someone a few times when you feel like it.

Back