AC reciever fried...how replace? (not the cord, but where AC plugs into laptop)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a compaq presario 900 laptop.

When I plug the AC cord into the laptop, the cord makes a beeping sound and then there was a bad electronic burning smell..... and the Computer does not recieve power. It is NOT the cord. I bought a new one and same thing happened.

Can I replace this part of the laptop - the reciever of the plug.
At least, can anyone telling me what this part is called and so can ask others about this with correct lingo....

thanks!

You are probably SOL if the laptop smells burnt. That "receiver" is nothing more than a small VRM. Did you accidentally plug in an AC adapter that wasn't meant for that laptop?

Either way, your best bet is to see if you can get it rma'ed.

what is a VRM and can i replace it? is this something i can do myself?

what is rma'ed.

The connection was loose for a long time, and then just stopped working...then the last time i plugged in the cord there was a bad smell....

Unless you have a working knowledge of digital electronics and a decent soldering set plus spare parts, replacing a toasted VRM (Voltage Regulator and Monitor) is impossible, moreso impossible if it is embedded into the PCB of the motherboard.

If it was loose and now there is a bad smell, likely there was a short. It may have damaged quite a bit inside.

yikes!

wow this is not the information I was hoping for (-:

But thanks so much for your help! I guess i will open it up and see what things look like....but sounds like i am pretty screwed....
is the socket likely attached to the mother board and i can buy a new mother board???

thanks!

-s

oh i forgot that the computer would still work. just would not take power in from the cord. still worked with battery.

so do you think that i can replace socket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back