AC97 Audio stopped working randomly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ph30nIX

Hey guys,

Normally I can fix most issues with the PC's I maintain, but recently my brother's audio on his PC stopped working. It uses the AC97 chipset, and I have tried multiple drivers etc to fix it, but not getting anywhere.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue, its an asrock k7gs41s I believe. Its also running XP, and I'd rather not format it, unless this would be the only likely fix.

Cheers,
Nic

im sorry to say I also have the A97 sound stuff in my lappy
one day i was playing happily ... listening to music ... then the speakers started to distort!
i turned off the music and ran some speaker tests and eventually the problem cleared up.
next time i turned the laptop on i didnt hear anything .. when i went to play music i got the error "media player cannot play the file as there is no audio hardware present"

i had a look in device manager and my sound stuff wasnt there

restarted the system and it worked fine again

but a few days later the windows seems to think that the audio hardware does not exist in my machine!! its so frustrating!
i contacted acer and they said to return my laptop to factory settings ... which didnt work
so acer wanted to take my laptop from me ... for 8 weeks!!!! i cant realistically be without my laptop for more than a week as i need it for work, presentations and university.
even though my laptop is still in warrenty period they will not give me a like for like transfer!

in the end and bought a really nice creative 5.1 external sound card and its really good!

should have been £45 but because it was the last one in stock at comet they sold it to me for £20 :D :D

tho i really would like my on-board sound to work again because lugging external speakers about isnt really handy.

so i guess my advice is to expect the worst and buy another sound card preferably creative!

if anyone has any suggestions i woudl love to hear them!!

thanks

Unfortunately I dont think its worth spending money on, can anyone think of an idea that doesnt involve formatting?

what do you mean "audio on his PC stopped working"? no sound at all,beeps or anything?cant play music?player plays music but no sound? is your brother using built-in speakers? i know you maintain computers but it could help telling what happend before the audio disappeared.

Well it was working normally, but no audio now. Basically it wasnt showing up in device manager as even existing, but i managed to get it recognised with correct drivers, but doenst seem to lay anything. Windows media says "No audio device found". I have also tried an older soundcard, but it doenst have the greatest drivers to start with so didnt really help. I can hear the windows beep (normally internal piezo) , but it comes out the speakers quite loud.

I have practically tried everything i can think of to no avail.

you can pick up a simple creative sound card for about £10 now im sure of it

I think the AC97 is the worst thing in the world! lol i mean i wouldnt mind so much if there was enough support for it but there isnt
the people who make it ... (realtek i think) surly must have had so many complaints about it ?!

seemed nothing wrong with the speakers....Have you tried re-startting the windows audio under windows services? try first stop then re-start.if it didnt work,you can go down to the properties & in the dialog box,general tab,start type,at the drop down box,try both manual & automatic,apply & start.it should re-fresh the service somehow.

turbo1 said:
seemed nothing wrong with the speakers....Have you tried re-startting the windows audio under windows services? try first stop then re-start.if it didnt work,you can go down to the properties & in the dialog box,general tab,start type,at the drop down box,try both manual & automatic,apply & start.it should re-fresh the service somehow.

how do i get to this fabled "windows service" ?

thanks

**** i tried it but it doesnt seem to work :S im gonna have a mess about with the manual/automatic and restart my computer see if anything develops :p (here goes ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back