Acceptable Use Policies and Private Networks

By lemri
Feb 13, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I can't seem to find any information on this. I am at a k-12 school where the school district has a pretty strict Acceptable use Policy.

I am wanting to set up my school on VPNs and I want to use Private Addressing to separate the different virtual network subnets. I like the flexibility and security.

The district is poo pooing the idea because they say the APU will be harder to enforce with private networks.

Surely there is a way to identify authenticated users on private networks? What do other schools/businesses do if they want to enforce their APU and have a private network?

Or will my only option be to subnet one of our IP ranges? I don't want to subnet, but I guess I could.

Right now I have 2 non-contiguous Class C ranges that are used on all 300 of our computers via DHCP, 1 router, and 4 big switches. I need to get a more efficient network.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,026   +221

Authenticating users occurs at LOGIN time and this is your major access control.

Placing the VPN on a special subnet is a great idea as you can enforce special
    rules and extra logging.

Making an Acceptable Use Policies(AUP) , posting it and informing the user
    community that it will be monitored and enforced is the first step.
    As they are only paper -- they have to be enforced to have any real teeth.

something like this
    Code:
    ISP --- permiter firewall --- major router --- switch --- infrastructure users
                                            |
                                            |port fwd vpn ports
                                            |
                                            V
                                         minor switch --- VPN services --- vpn users

will give you access control and auditing
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.