Acces files in Linux partition from XP & viceversa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Due to severe virus problem in XP, I connect to net through Linux only.
I want the files downloaded in Linux to be accessible from XP. My PC has XP, 98 and Linux. Is Samba the right tool? I did some research but got hits only for networking between XP and Linux systems. I need to access files in Linux (ext3) partition from XP in same PC and viceversa.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Vikas

Oh, and Samba is for sharing and accessing SMB shares (as Windows creates) its certainly 100 % useful, but only if the Linux and the Windows are running at the same time (i.e. on seperate machines or one is a virtual machine running in the other....)

If you are using Fedora, just

yum install ntfs-3g

then proceed to mount the NTFS partitions as normal. It will moan if you don't have kernel 2.6.20 or above but I'm using 2.6.18 or something and its working just fine.

just to be clear, if you have two systems (xp and a Linux), then Samba is the
way to go. Otherwise a dual boot system can use the install ntfs-3g nicely

Tried installing ntfs-3g. It complained of not having FUSE. On trying to install FUSE (http://fuse.sourceforge.net, I got following message.

configure:
NOTE: Disabled building the kernel module, because this release only
NOTE: supports Linux versions 2.6.9 or later. You can use the kernel
NOTE: module from an earlier FUSE release with the library from this
NOTE: release.

$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.4.20-8 #1 Thu Mar 13 17:54:28 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Since I've kernel < 2.6, is this impossible? Any workarounds?

Thanks,
Vikas

Svikas, why don't you try to create VFAT partition that can be written by ALL systems you used? In my experience 1 to 2 Gigs is enough for file transfer between Windows and Linux.

Cheers

I need to access files in Linux (ext3) partition from XP in same PC and viceversa.
I don't see what is unclear here..

svikas: You should really upgrade to a newer Linux distro! If you don't want to do that, check out Captive-NTFS - it's an older implementation that relies on Windows drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back