Access Denied Message

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the new ops manager for a company; the old guy was IT trained and I have not been;

i need access to his C:/Documents and Settings folder, but access is denied.

how do I gain administrative access to his folder?

Let me ellaborate on this a bit. I had to logon to another network (executive sweet) to use a printer. When I attempted to log back on as the old user, it now tells me that my user name or password is wrong. I know it is not because I have been logging in for a couple of days now, plus I had the common sense to write it down. That doesn't even bug me though, I can use the new user name as long as I can access the old folders. Any help?

What other network?

Would that be a Novell network, or a Windows network?

In both cases you can find there is more than just entering a name and password, there is also the server you want to log in to and so on. Even more so on Novell.

Then again, to confuse you even more, there are registry settings in Windows XP pro that can cause the LOCAL login name and password to be automatically set to defaults under certain conditions. Local PC and network identities are not always the same.....

In short, you need more of a leg-up from the previous manager. You will not get access to his data without logging in with his ID OR logging in with full rights, and you cannot create a new user with full rights unless you are a user with full rights already ! Catch-22

You should search MS technical database, because this problem is not exactly rare.

thanks

i forgot that i had created another user a little while back with administrative rights; i now have access to the data....thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back