Access Point or Extender for Upstairs Wireless?

Route44

Okay next Monday (July 21st) I go in for a hernia operation, I am going to be laid up for awhile and thankfully I have a laptop I can use while recovering upstairs in my bedroom. I can access my Netgear router but the signal is not that strong (bedroom and downstairs office are on opposite corners).

So I have been pondering getting either an Access Point or a Extender for the upstairs but there are so many to choose from I am not sure what to choose nor what brand because the reviews are strongly mixed regardless of who the manufacturer is.

My Needs:
1. Both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz. I've looked at this one but I am not sure: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

2. Something simple to set-up.

3. It must work with WPA security. The above one I linked to, after firther research does not do well with WPA.

Last edited:
Really NEED 5ghz? dual band systems seem to impact the reliability AND the distance reached.
You could lock it down to use only 2.4Ghz and improve the reliability.

I solved my distance issue using an EoP device and then any WiFi router at the remote end.
That's TWO purchases; The EoP master/slave pair to get wired access into the remote location and then the WiFi router itself. I've always been partial to Netgear and bought their EoP.

Thanks for the reply. My router is a Netgear and it has been going strong for over 2 years. I have never used/set-up an EoP nor with another router in a slave-master configuration. How hard are they to configure?

Are you able to link me to the Netgear EoP that you purchased? Thanks again.

Eop setup is without configuration - - it acts like a switch (y)(y)(y)

The master plugs into an naked A/C outlet (can't use a surge protector on either end) and one RJ45
up to a slot on your existing router.

At the remote end (slave) an RJ45 goes to the new WiFi router (suggest you disable DHCP in this router to make it easiest).

here's the official name
NETGEAR XAVB101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit
and an amazon link
I got mine at the local Bestbuy outlet to avoid the shipping delay.

Back