"Access to specified device, path or file is denied"

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I double Click My Computer icon, I go into Control Panel, after that, when I try to double click anything there ( such as systems or keyboard, anything) I get the message "Access to specified device, path or file is denied" could anyone help solve this problem?:(

Welcome to TechSpot Forums

Control panel doesn't require administrative rights to work. All users should be able to change their own settings. In this case, someone with administrative rights might have set some restrictions on the computer, however. Or those restrictions might have become corrupted for some reason. Is this computer using NTFS filesystem? If it is, check the permissions of these control panel things (I don't remember the proper term), they're in %windir%\system32\*.cpl.

Also, if you're logging into a domain these areas can be restricted via AD.

Re: Welcome to TechSpot Forums

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Control panel doesn't require administrative rights to work. All users should be able to change their own settings.
Hmm, didn't know that, I always an admin, but I know at school I can't change some things when I log in. I then read Papa's post and now it all makes sense :)

NTFS is NewTechnologyFileSystem, Windows98 can't naitively read that, so you don't have to worry about that since Windows98 wouldn't have created anything with NTFS.
Can you access them in Safe Mode?

Or press F8 repeatedly after your computer POSTS on restart. This will give you an option of what you want to boot into, just use the up arrow and choose Safe Mode.

Solution?

I am having the exact same problem. I am unable to access any icon under the control panel with Windows 98. There are no account restrictions on the computer. Any other solutions to try and fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back