TechSpot

"Access to specified device, path or file is denied"

By qtmarina
Apr 6, 2004
  1. When I double Click My Computer icon, I go into Control Panel, after that, when I try to double click anything there ( such as systems or keyboard, anything) I get the message "Access to specified device, path or file is denied" could anyone help solve this problem?:(

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

What version of Windows? Are you logged in with Admin Privilages?

3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Welcome to TechSpot Forums

Control panel doesn't require administrative rights to work. All users should be able to change their own settings. In this case, someone with administrative rights might have set some restrictions on the computer, however. Or those restrictions might have become corrupted for some reason. Is this computer using NTFS filesystem? If it is, check the permissions of these control panel things (I don't remember the proper term), they're in %windir%\system32\*.cpl.

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

Also, if you're logging into a domain these areas can be restricted via AD.

5. SNGX1275

Re: Welcome to TechSpot Forums

Hmm, didn't know that, I always an admin, but I know at school I can't change some things when I log in. I then read Papa's post and now it all makes sense :)

6. qtmarina

qtmarina TS Rookie Topic Starter

IM USING WINDOWS 98!

7. qtmarina

WHAT IS NTFS? THIS IS MY COMPUTER SO THERE SHOULDNT BE ANY ADMINISTRION CHANGES OR ANYTHING. PLEASE HELP

8. SNGX1275

NTFS is NewTechnologyFileSystem, Windows98 can't naitively read that, so you don't have to worry about that since Windows98 wouldn't have created anything with NTFS.
    Can you access them in Safe Mode?

9. qtmarina

how do you get into SAFE MODE?

10. SNGX1275

start menu -> shut down -> restart in safe mode

11. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Or press F8 repeatedly after your computer POSTS on restart. This will give you an option of what you want to boot into, just use the up arrow and choose Safe Mode.

12. surefire

surefire TS Rookie

Solution?

I am having the exact same problem. I am unable to access any icon under the control panel with Windows 98. There are no account restrictions on the computer. Any other solutions to try and fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.