Accident whilst removing Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmundtran

Hey, I made a huge mistake and I just wanted to get some advice on my situation.

I recently had to send my motherboard back for testing. However when removing the heatsink and processor I wasn't sure what to do. I tried pulling the heatsink off the processor but the processor came off the socket 754 with it! Now I know I was supposed to twist the heatsink and gently pull it off and I feel a right plonker for not doing that!

I just wanted to know, what are the chances of the processor being broken by this? There doesnt seem to be any physical change to the pins, as they were pulled straight out and no bending occurred. I'm hoping that if there is any damage to the socket it will be fixedby the people I sent it to.

And one more question, when I get my motherboard back, if the computer still doesnt work, what checks can I do to see what component is faulty? Will the motherboard run on its own without any components inside? If so this would be good to see which component makes the computer not work.

Thanks for the help,
Ed

Thats the thing, i've sent the motherboard back to be fixed or replaced. What I'm really worried about is the processor... any ideas?

Twist? Do not *ever* twist a heatsink, you'd have done even more damage. If the thermal compound is adhering the cpu to the heatsink to the point where it would rip out of the socket, you should power the machine up for about 20 minutes to warm the compound up, then very carefully you should gently tap it back and forth, very very gently.On socket 754 heatsinks, you;'re looking at a latch and then 2 metal clips on either side of the cpu. The latch has to be lifted and then one of the clips gently pushed free with a flathead screwdrivers. This may differ for non-stock heatsinks.

The processor, assuming the pins are not bent, is likely just fine. Processors are rather durable, and provided you didn't snap or bend any pins off it will likely still work just fine. Let's just hope your board is replaced without them whining about a missing socket.

Woah, hang on a sec, lemme quote the AMD Athlon 64 instructions:

"Twist the heatsink back and forth several times to break the seal between the heatsink and processor."

Thats what it says, I promise... I was just stupid enough not to think there'd be removal instructions with the processor, Doh! I think thats the only way since you cant reach the latch while the heasink is in position.

I really hope they dont start complaining about somehting being wrong with the socket... after all that wouldnt have happened if my motherboard was working in the first place lol! Good to know that processors are quite durable... I need a bit of reassurance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back