Accidentally 2 OS and one doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdague

Okay so here is the problem. I installed XP on a older computer, 500 Mz. It took 3 times as long for every process.

Problem is:
When I boot it says choose from two OSs :confused:
1. Microsoft WindowsXP Home Edition
which works
2. Previous Operating System on C:
doesn't work & this is what says when I click on it.
I/O Errore
multi(0)dish(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)Bootseat.Dos​

I had a totally blank used harddrive. For some reason it would not work from CD, though it's there and working (yes I did the whole setup thing for boot). The typical 6 disks set didn't seem to work.. so I used a special 1 disk (wbootess) which worked.

Note: When I attempted to use the 6 disk set it went through but errored at end and didn't go to install XP

I'm thinking that maybe the first install went through enough to cause the system to see the 2.) choice above.

What I want to do is get rid of the bad command/install and just have the computer startup and use the XP OS

This is a quote from this thread- https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41338
Quote-
If the original boot path is now invalid, here is another way to eliminate the OS option screen: Start/Run/type "msconfig" in the dialog box, without the quotations. Select the boot.ini tab in the System Configuration Utility and click the "Check All Boot Paths" button. If the original path comes up as invalid, choose the delete option. Click Apply and OK and reboot your computer. The OS option screen will no longer appear.

That might get rid of the 2nd boot option.Not sure about the partial install situation though.

Thank you for replying to this. I did as you advised and it says all are okay.... lies all lies. lol

But I do see the line that says:
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:"​

Can't I just delete it as u said because it is not working anyway?

As you don`t have any personal files to lose,I`d say delete it.If it causes disaster my name is Samstoned,OK ?

lol ... well I did look to but alas it does not give me the option.... everything is greyed out when that is highlighted. Am I missing something or does it only give you the option if that path does not check out?

Upon looking further I see that I can set one as default.. does that mean it will skip the other and start or just that it is the one highlighted (which is already the case) that will open in 30 seconds?

Okay I looked this up from some of your previous thread links:

Edit the Boot.ini File
To view and edit the Boot.ini file:
1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
-or-
Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
3. Under System Startup, click Edit.​

Did the whole notepad edit and I restarted and it still stops with the only OS highlighted and tells me to choose... arggg

I get the change timer thing but why the heck is it hanging up?

It might make it easier to explain if I knew whether the two operating systems were
installed on the same partition, or different partitions.

Before removing the older OS I would fix the startup procedure. If you have a "dual-boot",
that is if you get a screen at startup that asks you to select which OS to run, I
would eliminate that first.

Make sure the XP OS is the default. You can tell by not selecting an OS at startup.
The default will run automatically after 30 seconds. IF XP was installed last,
it's no doubt the default, but you want to be sure.

You need to be an administrator. Right click on My Computer. Click Advanced >Startup
and Recovery SETTINGS.

At the top of the window is a dropdown box that allows you to specify the default
OS. If XP is not the default, change it. Then uncheck the box for "Time to display
list of operating systems."

This should eliminate the OS selection screen at power up. XP should start automatically.

Now you only need to delete the folder that contains the older OS I believe it's usually
called WINNT or WIN98. If the OS iis on a different partition from XP, you can also delete
its "Program Files" and "Documents and Settings".

Ensure you know which folder contains what so you don't delete the wrong one.

If Win2000 is not on your C disk and is not in the same partition as XP, you can
delete and/or reformat the whole partition, if you want.

If the older OS and XP are on the same partition, they probably share "Program Files"
and "Documents and Settings", so you can't delete them.

Because you don't have anything really important on the har drive, it would be best to do a fresh install, format, and install XP. However, in your case, you have an ancient system - XP will run extremely slow and even slower if you don't have at least 512MB of memory.

A 500 Mz AMD with 386 MB Ram, partitioned into two drives and the extra drive is completely empty (it is for backup graphics only). That’s just it there is NO other OS. XP is and was the default. (it’s on C)

1. Microsoft WindowsXP Home Edition
which works
2. Previous Operating System on C:
(doesn't work & this is what says when I click on it.)
I/O Errore
multi(0)dish(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)Bootseat.Dos

I had a totally blank used harddrive. (I wiped it out myself through Fdisk) For some reason instaqll would not work from CD, though it's there and workin. The typical 6 diskette set didn't seem to work.. so I used a special 1 disk (wbootess) which worked.

Note: When I attempted to use the 6 disk set it went through the 6th diskette but errored at end and didn't go into installing XP. I'm thinking that maybe 'that' first attempt at install went through enough to cause the system to see the 2.) choice above. Upon using the wbootess disk it worked and XP installed.

There are not folders called WINNT or WIN98. Just three: Program Files, Windows and Document Setting (inside is All Users & brothers)

BUT I already went in and took out the second line in the boot.ini file (before the last post on this thread) and it still stops at the same startup screen to choose OS but now only the proper working XP is there. The other is gone so why doesn’t it just go start into Windows? And how can I get it to?

Am I at the change 30 seconds to 0,1, or 2 thing?
:monkey:

Problem solved… unless it blows up when I take it back to my brother. LOL
:D

Even though I did take out the second line.. there was still a space where it was. I, by chance, hit the arrow key anyway when the lone choice of XP came up and lo-n-behold it arrowed down to an empty line. So me’s thought ummmmm. Went back into the boot.ini and sure enough there was a space there, took it out and boots fine now. Go figer! (be it slow but it starts. yes tedster it only has 3 chips of 128=384... will I be able to up grade unevenally by romoving one 128 for a 256 or more to get it to the 512?)

Again I state that YOU-ALL ARE WONDERFUL (PEDDANT & Tedster) !! Now to do my part and help others… I’m just going to need to find a section that I am worth anything in. :rolleyes:

Peddant said:
As you don`t have any personal files to lose,I`d say delete it.If it causes disaster my name is Samstoned,OK ?
I am now famous or is that infamous
I would'a edit the boot ini directly in notepad ,but what the heck
it's fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back