Accidentally installed XP over vista

hello all

i recently did an AV scan in the WINDOWS folder, and 2 files got deleted, and then my computers power went out, when i went to start up, it wouldnt recover.

my dad decided to use the old gateway discs (which have XP on it) and partially reinstalled XP(was at the copying files stage), it got stuck at 91% and so he pulled the plug on that.

i got a vista repair disc from neosmart, and ran it. now it says Windows XP (recovered), but i have a vista OS.

i cant get past the bootsect.exe/nt60all/force step at the neosmart guide to manual recovery.

do i have to reinstall vista? and if i do what about all my data, will that be erased?

windows system32 ntoskrnl.exe file missing or corrupt is the error i get if i dont boot from CD

when the startup repair is used i get this error log:

problem event name: StartupRepairV2
problem signature 01 : AutoFailover
Problem signature 02 : 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
problem signature 03 : 0
problem signature o4 : 65537
problem signature 05 : unknown
problem signature 06 : noosinstalled
problem signature 07 : 0
problem signature 08 : 1
problem signature 09 : fixpartitiontable
problem signature 10 : 1168
OS Version : 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
local ID : 1033

so doing something worked and got the system recovery to correctly identify my OS as windows vista
and now its back to XP =X

Not a vista guy here, skipped it, but...

Buy another Hard Drive and remove your current one from the loop and install vista on it, then reconnect the old one, and you have it's files all left untouched... to manipulate as you wish.

Standard butt saving method. 8)

Back