acer 4920g wireless problem! wireless 'dropping off'

Status
Not open for further replies.

cartera

Hope you can help, i have a acer aspire w920g with windows vista home premium. I can stay on the internet for so long and then it will drop off at odd times, it does it up to every minute. I have upgraded the intel wifi drivers and still no luck! The wireless router is working fine since we have a few computers in the house and the other computers are working fine. Any help on this problem would be brilliant. The wireless router is a draytek vigor 2800g.
Thanks in advance,
cartera

In you wireless router is there a setting for MAC address and also you should be able to monitor the wireless for packet drops. Also what are the other PCs running in your place XP Pro, XP Home or all Vista Home? You also might have some dead spots in the house for wireless connections too. You might have to get wireless access point or a wireless repeater to help maintain your wireless connection in your place.

All of the other pc's in the house are xp, so it could be an incompatibility with vista. No the wireless router doesnt have a setting for a mac address. As i said none of the other pcs have this problem so dead spots cannot be the problem.
Thanks anyway!

Try hooking the laptop directly to the router using lan cable and see how long the connection last with a wired connection? If it check out okay then remove the lan cable and leave the wireless up and running even if you have to go directly where the router is you have to make sure you have tried both wired and wireless connection. To try to find out what the problem is.

Have you tried using the laptop at a school or library where they have free wireless and see if it work there? I heard that some place don't support Vista with wireless yet.

I have tried it on a wired connection and it works fine, not sure whats wrong it thought it was a driver issue but i have got the latest drivers so.....
Im running out of ideas. I am going to see if a different vista comp will work with the wireless sometime next week and see if it is vista that is causing the problem. Dont quite understand why it would though! Although vista has may incompatibilities!
Regards

Okay you see it works with wired on the laptop okay, but the wireless has an issue. What you can do is un-install the wireless driver while still being connected using wired lan cable. reboot the laptop still be connected wired. Upon logging back into vista, windows should detect the wireless nic and install the drivers for it? If it doesn't then you install the drivers for it from the acer website for that model you have. Make sure you got the right wireless drivers otherwise it won't work right. Once you see the system tells you wireless network found an etc.. trying using the wireless and disconnect the wired... If it still doesn't work then go outside maybe to a friends house and see if it works on his or her wireless network. If it doesn't work then you have a hardware problem with the built-in wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back