TechSpot

Acer brings Haswell power to $249 Chromebook

By Scorpus
Oct 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Although Chromebooks haven't exactly taken the market by storm, companies such as Acer are pushing ahead, producing new models every year. Today the company has unveiled the C720, a new 11.6-inch Chromebook powered by a low-end Haswell processor, following on...

Read more
  2. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 832   +213

I have not tried a Chromebook but am looking forward to seeing/using the Chrome OS. So many colleges have their students now on Chromebooks with Google accounts, using Gmail and Google Docs. Microsoft is no longer the backbone of education and their overpriced Office with expensive upgrades is slowly being phased away, company by company, school by school.
    And just to state I like Microsoft and I am even ok with WIndows 8, but the next 5 years are going to be entertaining as hell!
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,876   +889

For $250 that is a bargain. But who needs 4GB of RAM on a chromebook? I really feel that Google Docs cant compete with MS Word. So for that reason, I will try to avoid Chromebooks until Google Apps improve.
  4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,181   +512

Honestly even though its 250 bucks, I dont like that specific processor, I would prefer spending a slight bit more to get a i5 3317u and get the HD 4000 with it. Chrome OS will be the main event on this, but if it can run smoothly on the machine like this, that will open up a new level of OS's since Chrome the browser is plenty low intensive in its needs compared to IE.
  5. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 850   +20

You can still get a low end laptop, like an hp2000, for $300. Who want's this when you can get that? In deja vu, I started computing on an hp2000 timeshared mini computer in high school in the 70s. It had to be programmed in basic.
  6. Cryptopsy

Cryptopsy Newcomer, in training Posts: 47

You can still use the Microsoft Office (Web Version) on a Chromebook. It offers the same thing as the real Office, all you need is a LIVE account (or skydrive, not sure here). This is what made me changed my mind about the Chromebook.
  7. Cryptopsy

Cryptopsy Newcomer, in training Posts: 47

Oh and, It is free!!
  8. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,876   +889

The web version doesnt have all of the features of the desktop version, at least from my experiences.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.