Acer CEO steps down due to disappointing Q3 PC sales

By Justin Kahn
Nov 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. In light of recent disappointing financial results, Acer chairman and CEO J.T Wang has announced that he will be stepping down starting in the new year.

Read more
  2. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,587   +278

Even if PC sales are disappointing surely Transformer devices, tablets and other devices must be doing ok for them?
  3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

CEO of this company not thinking right. Step down if you have too since you don't want to take the blame for how things are going. ACER does make good products I use them here with HP. But still they keep changing everything to suit the market or really themselves. Tablet market is tough one Google/Android has a huge presents, the rest of them just playing catch-up with poor mismanagement.
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Stepping down is taking the blame. It is making the ultimate statement "I'm not the one". Or is he graciously accepting a decision the board made for him?
  5. Transformer = Asus
  6. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,101   +95

+1 Guest.

Asus makes the Transformer, not Acer.
    Arris likes this.
  7. TheDreams

TheDreams TS Addict Posts: 599   +57

It seems that every time sales are not up to par, that the CEO retires. I find that interesting seeming as how they would give up that salary and fame just because of their conscious on how the company did that year. Probably a, cough**board decision** cough, different factor playing the hand.
  8. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 853   +352

They announce in September, the Acer Liquid S2 6" smartphone, then, not one single word
    out of them about it.
  9. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Well, when a sports team does poorly they usually fire the coach. Even if the owner's been making bad trades and draft picks for years. The CEO is the one to take the blame because they're more responsible for the 'direction' of the company. The thing is, one of the most important factors that determines how well a company does is the industry's performance. Meaning... the CEO of a PC company in 2013 is going to have problems no matter what he does.
  10. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,525   +828

I like acer products....
    But they could, you know, advertise a little bit.

But I find they make reliable cheap stuff. Never gotten high end products from them.
  11. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,587   +278

Oooopsy :)
    Wendig0 likes this.
  12. drjekel_mrhyde

drjekel_mrhyde TS Rookie Posts: 101   +7

This is the only OEM that makes Toshiba crap look good