Acer ditches Intel's Thunderbolt, will favor USB 3.0 instead

Shawn Knight

Staff member

intel thunderbolt acer

It’s reasonable to expect some growing pains when you launch a new communications interface but when the first company to initially back your product calls it quits, that has got to hurt. Such was recently the case as Acer decided to ditch the speedy technology known as Thunderbolt and focus strictly on USB 3.0 moving forward.

Acer spokesperson Ruth Rosene pointed out that USB 3.0 is less expensive than Thunderbolt, offers comparable bandwidth, charging for devices such as mobile phones and also has a large installed base of accessories and peripherals.

Intel, however, isn’t letting the news slow down their vision. Jason Ziller, director of Intel's Client Connectivity Division, said there are now more than a dozen new platforms already on the market that use Thunderbolt alongside fourth generation Intel Core processors. Big names like Asus, Dell and Lenovo are all on board and continue to support the technology.

What’s more, he noted that Thunderbolt is targeted toward premium systems, not value systems or mid-range machines. That trend is expected to continue over the next couple of years, we’re told.

Last month, Intel officially unveiled Thunderbolt 2 as the successor to the original standard. The chip maker’s latest and greatest doubles the throughput to an impressive 20Gbps in both directions while still remaining backwards compatible with first generation devices. Intel hasn’t provided a solid release date for Thunderbolt but we are told it’ll enter production by the end of this year.

Permalink to story.

I hope thunderbolt dissappear , its horrible to have this double connection standards and don't know which to choose, because only one can rule, less cables

What’s more, he noted that Thunderbolt is targeted toward premium systems, not value systems or mid-range machines.

Ugh... terrible. This just ends up making things more annoying for consumers.

USB 3.0 is less expensive than Thunderbolt, offers comparable bandwidth
"Comparable" isn't gonna cut it with the upcoming 4K content. And while Thunderbolt 2 will be the best interface for the 4K era, USB 3.0 cannot be used for that at all - compare that!

I've been following the development behind HDMI 2.0, and it looks and sounds like a bad joke, bringing throughput from 3.4Gbit to 6Gbit is laughable. It won't be able to handle 10/12-bit color at 60fps in 4K, making it obsolete before it is released, while Thunderbolt 2 can handle it without any problems.

Apple is rolling out Mac Pro in September with 6 Thunderbolt 2 ports, and updates all Macbook Pro-s to use it also. Acer is of no influence here really, it is a dumb decision.

This cable monopoly sucks, thats why its expensive and its gonna be only on premium boards.....intel and apple just want money....

USB ain't going anywhere just yet but sooner or later all technologies reach EOL. I just don't know if TB is going to be that technology that ends USB's reign.

I don't think USB is going anywhere anytime soon, consider its history and iterations. TB is a big question mark in everyone's eye. sure it's capable and promising. but the same can be said about modern day ethernet cable's capability, which is so underrated. modern day ethernet cable can more than handle the bandwidth of HDMI, while keeping the cost down. lets face it, all these cable and connection standards are about licensing and money, otherwise we'll all be running one fiber cable for everything.

USB 3 with 10GB/s will be a true Thunderbolt competitor. I dont think they can ditch thunderbolt till then,

Intel's greed will lead to their downfall.

LOL 4k content like how many people are many people are going to use that? So far 42" tv's are like 5g don't really know anybody that will buy that even a 1g

If Acer has no influence (it does btw since Acer is a top 3 OEM), then why did you feel you had to write three paragraphs defending it (TB)?

*sigh*

The article is about dumping Thunderbolt in favor of USB 3.0, which is dumb, and I explained why. Nobody really cares about Acer. Outlining one's view doesn't automatically imply a line of defense of any kind, you got it all wrong.

Thunderbolt is pretty much useless to the average consumer. It's too expensive, too rare, and has pretty much zero benefits over USB 3.0. I don't understand why Apple is seriously pushing a professional level connection standard when they've been leaving the professional part of their customer base to pretty much die on the vine. I'll never use my Thunderbolt port and even though I'd love to upgrade to a RMBP, those two Thunderbolt ports taking up space USB3 could is a serious turnoff.

The article is about dumping Thunderbolt in favor of USB 3.0, which is dumb, and I explained why. Nobody really cares about Acer. Outlining one's view doesn't automatically imply a line of defense of any kind, you got it all wrong.

No you got it wrong. No one cares about TB except techies, and maybe businesses, aka not the markets that help bring costs down. You're in a fantasy land run by geeks, and that is not how it is on this planet. 99% of the people on this planet put their stuff in the cloud, on discs, flash drives, internal HDDs, and then maybe an external HDD enclosure via USB or eSATA - THEN TB. Heck, people are still waiting for the price of SDD's to drop before they buy one, and you think grandparents, students, mom's and dad's are going to run to TB? LMAO. So they can daisy chain HDD enclosures? ROFLMAO! I'll pay to see that.

Acer is a big name (4th Worldwide, 5th in the US), and what they do can have a huge effect. To write them off is a foolish move. Acer dropping out is not something to take lightly. They have influence. The figures above surely aren't showing a company hurt for cash. Acer is most likely dropping it due to low customer demand, and as a result they save some money in the process.

4K? How many (normal) people even have HDTV at 1080p? Most offices, like most people, work on the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' mentality. Which is the completely logical stance to take. Hell, WinXP still has the 2nd largest marketshare of the OS space ten years later.

TB is just another firewire.

Humorous how the human mind becomes polarized so easily . Thunderbolt is an excellent "premium" technology and will become more used and useful as the years role on in professional and consumer capacities. USB 3.0 is an excellent generational improvement in a consumer interface. We want both, not one or the other. Grow up people.

I get the feeling that Thunderbolt will be similar to Firewire in that it will serve the high-end or professional setting but most of the consumer setting will continue to use USB...

It is all about to get our cash out from our packets. There are %10 less PC sold last quarter in world. Can somebody explain to me what is the real word benefits TB over USB 3.0?
Acer right to drop TB because PC market eaten by mobile market and Mobile market no TB backward compatible with mobile devices. All manufacturers margins are down and economic slowdown makes more popular budget devices.
So if you have extra money and you want to help Apple make next quarter 50 billion profit for a another firewire technology stop wining and spend your cash whatever.

Screw TB and go USB 3.0. when I first bought this acer laptop in 2008, eSATA was the faster connector available in the market. what's better is that some eSATA slots in laptops are actually USB combo ports. time flies and suddenly all hard drive sold in the market only comes with USB 3.0 option. back then, there used to be "eSATA compatible".

Fortunately 10 bucks got me an USB 3.0 expresscard 54 for my laptop. Now it has best of both world. I could imagine TB will die much faster than eSATA.

No you got it wrong. No one cares about TB except techies, and maybe businesses, aka not the markets that help bring costs down. You're in a fantasy land run by geeks, and that is not how it is on this planet. 99% of the people on this planet put their stuff in the cloud, on discs, flash drives, internal HDDs, and then maybe an external HDD enclosure via USB or eSATA - THEN TB. Heck, people are still waiting for the price of SDD's to drop before they buy one, and you think grandparents, students, mom's and dad's are going to run to TB? LMAO. So they can daisy chain HDD enclosures? ROFLMAO! I'll pay to see that.

Acer is a big name (4th Worldwide, 5th in the US), and what they do can have a huge effect. To write them off is a foolish move. Acer dropping out is not something to take lightly. They have influence. The figures above surely aren't showing a company hurt for cash. Acer is most likely dropping it due to low customer demand, and as a result they save some money in the process.

You do realize you are wasting your time trying to convince an Apple user of the value of Acer. He didn't waste time pointing out why TB is good by using Apple products as examples considering there are plenty of Windows PCs he could have used. Don't bother.

TB may be awesome but it takes more than awesome to be worth using. Hardly anyone even knows what TB is where as everyone knows what USB is and being that USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with every USB device currently out there (nearly everything, including Apple products) it makes no sense to defend TB as if it's the #1 used I/O port./plug because its not and may never be once a new port shows up.

They should have stopped at Serial Ports. SCSI, ATA, SATA, USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt...
I hate all these companies like Apple and Intel trying to innovate. Who the heck needs to do professional audio or video on a computer. Nobody listens to music or watches videos. Just imagine how cheap computers would be now if we could just have stuck with 16Kb of ram, a floppy disk or two and a VGA monochrome screen. They should have just focused on making the applications more efficient - lazy bloody coders. ;)

I gather that there are plans to upgrade USB 3.0 so it is capable of 10Gbit/s. I am wondering if they are working on USB 4.0? On that basis Acer's decison does not seem unreasonable. How many devices can you connect to TB? Technically TB is impressive but it is too early to see if it will take off.

Back