Acer doubles down on gaming with revamped Predator line

Shawn Knight

Staff member

acer gaming predator line predator hardware acer predator predator series

Acer on Wednesday refreshed its Predator line of gaming-grade hardware with a new monitor, desktop system, tablet and two notebooks. Judging by the aggressive aesthetics and respectable build quality, it’s clear that Acer means business with its new components. Let’s have a look.

First in line is the Predator X35 gaming monitor, set to arrive during this quarter. This curved, ultra-wide 35-inch IPS display (or 34-inch according to Acer's press release) features a 21:9 aspect ratio with a 144Hz refresh rate, integrated DTS speakers and Nvidia’s G-Sync technology. Resolution checks in at 3,440 x 1,440 and buyers will get five USB 3.0 ports as well as HDMI and DisplayPort connectivity.

The third quarter will see Acer deliver its Predator desktop and tablet. Aside from the visuals provided by Tom's Guide, there’s not much else to go on as Acer was tight-lipped with regard to hardware specifications.

As the publication notes, however, it’s probably a safe bet that we’ll see at least an Nvidia GTX 980 stuffed inside the matte black desktop chassis. Oh, and the tablet will run some form of Android (a given).

Rounding out the year in Q4, Acer will launch two new Predator gaming notebooks. The massive vents across the rear of the 15- and 17-inch notebooks indicate there will be some pretty powerful hardware tucked under the hood but again, no specifics were given. Intel’s Skylake CPUs are probably a lot, but that’s pure speculation.

Images via Tom's Guide

Permalink to story.

Acer and gaming in same line ? not gonna happen ;) acer is cheap crap and not even worth the lower price it costs. even mac are better gaming systems than acer.

I'm loving these new 21:9 Ultra Rez high refresh rate monitors, definitely going to be getting me one when I do a new build.
Acer and gaming in same line ? not gonna happen ;) acer is cheap crap and not even worth the lower price it costs. even mac are better gaming systems than acer.
Acer is not cheap crap.
We've been running their desktop PC's and monitors for years, they are as good if not better then our Lenovo, HP and Dell products.

Hideous computer case design, what do they think this is? They seem to be stuck in the 2000's. Looks quite gimmicky. However, their monitor panels seem to have a decent reputation and a good price.

This is a somewhat narrow and ignorant statement.

You pay $300 and you might get crap. You pay $1000+ and you might get something decent. Go figure...

Edit: Okay, I may be referring to laptops here. Their other stuff is fairly decent too, I wouldnt put very many companies above Acer. They are all pretty much the same to me, they all sell cheap crap, and they all have their nicer stuff, just depends on how much you spend.

Back