Acer launches 24-inch 1440p Predator monitor with 165 Hz refresh rate

Scorpus

Staff member

Acer has unleashed a new gaming-focused Predator monitor that packs an impressive spec sheet. The Predator XB241YU features not just a 2560 x 1440 resolution, but also a refresh rate that can be "overclocked" up to 165 Hz.

To achieve such a high refresh rate, the XB241YU uses a 23.8-inch TN panel, so don't expect IPS display quality. However, Acer still claims that this monitor has 100% sRGB gamut coverage, 16.7-million color support, and a 1000:1 contrast ratio. Brightness is rated up to 350 nits.

Most Predator monitors come with some sort of variable refresh technology, and the XB241YU is no exception. This display supports Nvidia G-Sync all the way up to 165 Hz, and the panel comes with both a DisplayPort and a HDMI port.

The XB241YU's stand supports tilt, swivel and height adjustments, and can be rotated into a portrait display if you so choose. There's also a four-port USB 3.0 hub, two 2W speakers, and Acer's thin ZeroFrame bezel design.

Anyone interested in this monitor can purchase it right now for $500, which seems pretty reasonable for a monitor with G-Sync and these specifications.

Permalink to story.

Even though I carry myself as an IPS purist, I'm curious to how this monitor performs in real life. Like, in terms of color accuracy, color shifting (I hear TN screens have been getting better), and of course usability at that high of a refresh rate (like overshoot and ghosting).

Well this would have been a much better alternative to the 4k display I just picked up... Too bad it didn't exist two months ago, but to be honest I love my 28" 4K. This thing has some rather good specs and is priced pretty good for those specs, I was honestly expecting it to cost 200-300 more because of the G-Sync.

This monitor is garbage IMHO. TN looks terrible and 24" is on the small side for 1440p (good picture quality but really bad for text/desktop use). Maybe if you only use the PC for gaming it could work and the price is certainly interesting.

About time. they have been hiding this for awhile now until they realize consumers aint buying their other monitors

Back