Acer launches a 34-inch IPS curved ultrawide monitor with G-Sync

Scorpus

Staff member

Acer has launched a pretty compelling curved 34-inch ultrawide monitor today, packing in features such as a high-resolution IPS LCD panel and Nvidia's G-Sync adaptive refresh technology.

The Predator X34, as it's known, features a 34-inch 3440 x 1440 IPS LCD panel with 100% sRGB coverage, brightness up to 300 cd/m^2, a rated contrast ratio of 1000:1, and 4ms grey-to-grey response times. The display features a 60 Hz refresh rate by default, although that can be 'overclocked' up to 100 Hz through built-in settings.

With such a high resolution, the inclusion of Nvidia's G-Sync technology is welcome, even if the refresh rate only tops out at 100 Hz through overclocking. It's unlikely you'll be able to play the latest games at 3440 x 1440, at the highest settings, and at 60 Hz (unless you have a very powerful machine), which is where G-Sync will come in handy.

The Predator X34 includes a tilt and height adjustable stand, and you get HDMI, DisplayPort 1.2, and four USB 3.0 ports for connectivity. There are also two seven watt speakers integrated into the monitor, though they're probably rubbish like most built-in speakers.

With all these features packed into the display, it's not going to come cheap. Newegg is currently listing the Predator X34 for $1,299.99, although it's currently out of stock with no word on when it'll be back on sale.

Permalink to story.

At $1300 it can stay out of stock as far as I'm concerned. The day I pay that much for a monitor is the day they come take me away.

Granted you should spend as much as possible on your monitor cause it tends to last multiple system builds.

However $1,300 is alot I wouldn't pay that for this screen also.

I'd drop 1,300 on a decent curved display. It would allow me to ditch my multimonitor setup without having to compromise aspect ratio.
If you need a multi monitor display then I suppose it's an alternative, it's far better than having to cope with bezels.

I'd drop 1,300 on a decent curved display. It would allow me to ditch my multimonitor setup without having to compromise aspect ratio.
If you need a multi monitor display then I suppose it's an alternative, it's far better than having to cope with bezels.
This...

I'm spoiled with multi-monitors at work (4) so I just *had* to get dual at home. Would much rather have a high end ultra wide, just not *this* high end apparently.

This...

I'm spoiled with multi-monitors at work (4) so I just *had* to get dual at home. Would much rather have a high end ultra wide, just not *this* high end apparently.

nice! I don't know if I could talk my boss into letting have 4 monitors.

"With such a high resolution,..."

That gave me chuckle. :D
I paid about $680 for my 28" 4k, and even though I was really excited about this monitor a while back, why in the world would I pay $1,300 for it?

"300 cd/m^2, a rated contrast ratio of 1000:1" thats kinda weak specs for an ips panel.......and for 1300 bones I could just go buy a 60 inch 4k tv and plug it in through hdmi or something else. why are monitors so expensive? seriously....

"300 cd/m^2, a rated contrast ratio of 1000:1" thats kinda weak specs for an ips panel.......and for 1300 bones I could just go buy a 60 inch 4k tv and plug it in through hdmi or something else. why are monitors so expensive? seriously....
Ok let's see, this has a DisplayPort 1.2 connection which means you can actually stream content in 60Hz-100Hz at 2k (TV's don't have DisplayPort and unless it has HDMI 2.0 no matter how powerful your system it won't show above 30Hz). It also packs G-Sync which synchronizes the refresh rate of the monitor with the fps produced by the graphic card (that for sure is in no TV in the world). On top of that it is an IPS panel (probably the one Rusty Tech has is TFT), is ultra-wide 21:9 (which is the preferential aspect ration for cutting-edge gaming) 34", it is curved, it is 4ms response (the best in a IPS available), and as of right now it is the only monitor on sale with all these optimized features for gaming (at least until ASUS's PG348Q arrive). So it pretty much costs what an enthusiast/professional gamer would pay if he had the money.

Back