Acer launches curved display gaming laptop, world's thinnest laptop and more at IFA 2016

Jos

Staff

Acer kicked things off at IFA 2016 by introducing a slew of new laptops, among them the first curved screen notebook, a convertible laptop and and an ultra thin offering that measures just under 1 cm thick -- 9.98mm to be precise. That’s thinner than the Apple MacBook (13mm), HP Spectre 13 (10.4mm), and Asus ZenBook 3 (11.9mm).

Acer Predator 21 X

The highlight of the new lineup is without a doubt the new Predator 21 X -- a 8kg (17.6lbs) beast of a laptop. According to Acer, this is the world's first curved screen laptop, and as the name suggest it uses a massive 21-inch panel with a resolution of 2560×1080. The screen is G-Sync enabled, too, so you should see smooth, game-friendly frame rates.

Under the hood the Predator 21 X is powered by two of Nvidia's latest mobile GTX 1080 graphics cards and a 7th generation Kaby Lake Intel Core processor. Acer has thrown in Tobii eye tracking, a 4.2-channel audio system and a full-sized mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX switches for good measure. There’s no word on how much the Predator 21 X will cost as it won’t ship until sometime in the first quarter of 2017.

Acer Swift 7

Despite its thinness the Acer Swift 7 is reasonably powerful, featuring a 7th generation Intel Core i5 processor, up to 8GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD and a claimed nine hours of usage. The laptop boasts a durable all-aluminum unibody chassis with a black-and-gold dual tone design and Gorilla Glass protecting its 13.3-inch full-HD (1080x1920 pixels) IPS display.

In terms of ports there are a couple of USB-C 3.1 and a headphone jack. There’s also a high dynamic range webcam to bring out more color and details in video chats.

The Acer Swift 7 will sell for $999 when it ships in October. Lower-end Swift 1, 3 and 5 models will also be available at lower price points -- starting at $249, $499 and $749 respectively -- with slightly thicker bodies and 14-inch screens.

Acer Spin 7

Acer also had something for the hybrid laptop crowd in the form of the Spin laptop family. The series Spin follows a similar model lineup to the Swift with Spin 7, 5, 3, and 1 models. Likewise, the Spin 7 is the higher end and thinnest model, packed with a 7th-gen Core i7 CPU, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD. It’s basically a slightly thicker version of Swift 7 but with a 360 degree convertible hinge that makes it extremely flexible.

It also features an aluminium unibody housing and will start at $1,199 when it becomes available sometime in October in the U.S. and other select markets.

Permalink to story.

Why in the world does a laptop need 2 1080's? Most desktops don't even require it and those that use SLI just like to show how big their e-peen is...

Ya this is so absurd. Not really sure what market they are targeting but this is extremely high end to the point that its just laughable.

Acer makes GREAT laptops. I have a lot of customers using them, it's the brand least likely to come back for repair. Asus on the other hand....they can't seem to build a reliable laptop....it's my most frequently repaired brand.

Acer makes GREAT laptops. I have a lot of customers using them, it's the brand least likely to come back for repair. Asus on the other hand....they can't seem to build a reliable laptop....it's my most frequently repaired brand.
everyone tends to rag on acer but my experience is roughly the same. ive owned 2 acer laptops and recommended 2-3 to close friends/family and all have had software or design issues.

Why in the world does a laptop need 2 1080's? Most desktops don't even require it and those that use SLI just like to show how big their e-peen is...

Thats exactly the point of this thing IMO. its a gimmick mostly to drag peoples attention to acer, but to someone with too much money on their hands, its a fully functional powerhouse. Its a bloody insane product but its functional anyway.

everyone tends to rag on acer but my experience is roughly the same. ive owned 2 acer laptops and recommended 2-3 to close friends/family and all have had software or design issues.

I have two Acer laptops also. They are doing just fine after many years.

I game (a lot) and usually nowhere near home so I need something movable with me. Roll on gaming laptop.
I've got a dual 980 laptop at the moment, pick them up when prices drop off.

That said, I would never buy an acer. They make budget laptops.
MSI is what I sue now, samsung even had a belter out a few years ago. Same it won't stand up to running BF4 at 60fps on 1080

yes, I know, 2 X 980 is overkill but those framerates brah... they ain't gonna rate themselves :D
It's VR ready which is a plus but I'll give a year or two to settle.

Back