Acer reveals 34-inch curved QHD FreeSync and G-Sync monitors

midian182

Staff member

acer qhd freesync amd freesync acer monitor qhd

Acer has added a new monitor to their gaming-focused lineup, the amazing looking XR341CK. This 34-inch 21:9 UltraWide QHD (3440 x 1440 pixels @ 75Hz) IPS monitor comes with a curved display in a zero frame design, which Acer says can draw gamers deeper into the action for a more immersive experience.

Being aimed squarely at gamers, the XR341CK also uses AMD's Freesync technology, which, for those with AMD graphics cards, allows the GPU to control the display’s refresh rate to eliminate tearing and stuttering.

“This killer new monitor makes game play incredibly realistic. The ultra-wide curved design, stunning image quality and dynamic audio take the thrill of gaming to a new level,” Charlotte Chen, Acer America product manager said.

Other features include a 4ms response time, 100 percent sRGB to deliver high color accuracy, flicker-less technology, a filter to reduce exposure to blue light, low dimming, and ComfyView technology to lessen reflections from external light sources. There's also an adjustable aluminum stand with -5° to 35° tilt and 5-inch height adjustments, plus a pair of built-in 7W speakers with DTS Sound.

For those who want a monitor that can multitask, the XR341CK comes with picture-by-picture functionality, where people can connect two sources to the same monitor and view them side by side on one screen. It also features a picture-in-picture setting, allowing users to watch a movie or video while simultaneously working on a project.

Connectivity consists of HDMI 2.0 supporting MHL charging, DisplayPort, miniDisplay Port and DisplayPort out. There's even a USB 3.0 hub (1 up/4 down) and a cable management hole to keep all those wires tidy.

acer qhd freesync amd freesync acer monitor qhd

The Acer XR341CK will be available at online retailers in late July for $1,099. Acer is also producing a version of this monitor that uses Nvidia's G-Sync technology, the XR341CKA, which will be available from July/August priced a bit higher at $1,299. Both monitors come with a 3-year parts and labour warranty.

Permalink to story.

This type of monitor is the best way to channel the power of your GTX 980 Ti, which inherited its anti-aliasing power from the many generations before it, as opposed to having it choke on the 4K pixel-mania in chase for almost the same effect, at the expense of the dropped FPS.

Last edited:
"This 34-inch 21:9 UltraWide QHD (3440 x 1440 pixels @ 75Hz)"

What a let down. This was supposed to have been true 4k with 120Hz. In fact, even more resolution since it's ultrawide.

What a let down. This was supposed to have been true 4k with 120Hz. In fact, even more resolution since it's ultrawide.

Supposed by whom? You are missing the point. The reason it is 34" at that resolution is to be usable with 1:1 scaling with any OS. That is the main criteria for this form-factor, to avoid any pixel compression, and thus extra load on the GPU and your eyes.

If a monitor as such is to change to the high-density someday, it will be 6880x2880, but it won't happen before DisplayPort 1.4a is available.

Will this be the one to do it all? We'll have to see how color and black uniformity is, that's a problem plaguing many of these curved monitors.

If you get 2180 vertical pixels on a monitor that's supposed to scale 1:1, you'd be sitting in front of a full-size TV, which is not a usable concept.
Do you actually think I'm going to believe that lie? You must not be considering PPI. You can have a 5 inch 4K display on 1:1 scale.

Will this be the one to do it all? We'll have to see how color and black uniformity is, that's a problem plaguing many of these curved monitors.
I'm with you on this one, as with any display announcement I hope tftcentral will pick it up and give it one of their reviews.

Then what PPI is 1:1 scaling?

Typical range for PPI that fits into 1:1 scaling is between 67 and 130: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_density

PPI above 130 is too dense to be used without scaling.

Below 67, and you would be looking on individual pixels more than on the actual content. Although technically, even 1x1 pixel screen could be considered enough to provide Morse code :)

Acer? No, thanks.. I prefer asus, samsung, LG, dell, HP or anything except Acer

Wow that's expensive... I think I'll stick to my good old 24" 1920x1200 for desktop and a VR headset for gaming. I'm predicting an end to "gaming monitors" for hardcore gamers who will only play with a VR headset on. Casual gaming can still be done on any decent sized monitor.

Yeah, in my book if its not 2180 tall, its not QHD.

How do you mistake QHD with 4K, Quad HD meaning 4 times 720p and NOT 4 times 1080p, that's 4K.

So your statement "in my book if its not 2180 tall, its not QHD" is actually correct, QHD is NOT 2160 pixels tall, 1080 x 2 is 2160 not 2180 btw, QHD is actually only 1440 pixels tall.

But you can continue misinterpreting resolution standards all you want, your the only one who suffers.

So your statement "in my book if its not 2180 tall, its not QHD" is actually correct, QHD is NOT 2160 pixels tall, 1080 x 2 is 2160 not 2180 btw, QHD is actually only 1440 pixels tall.
So 2160 (notice I didn't make the typo this time) is Full QHD? Ohh and thanks for the typo correction, did that really deserve attention? I think you are smart enough to realize I meant 2160 (even if by standard I was wrong).

So 2160 (notice I didn't make the typo this time) is Full QHD? Ohh and thanks for the typo correction, did that really deserve attention? I think you are smart enough to realize I meant 2160 (even if by standard I was wrong).

It looked as if you hastily typed that, so yeah, wasn't sure you realized what you were typing about. Just check out the Wiki page that list all the resolutions and what they're called. Full QHD is nothing, there is however Full Ultra HD. A resolution with vertical pixels numbering 2160 would be UHD 4K.

Gaming monitor with speakers? WHY?!

And for the comments above - Google is your friend:
QHD (Quad High Definition) is a resolution standard for high-end monitors, televisions and mobile devices. QHD is specified as 2560x1440 pixels at a16x9 aspect ratio, four times that of 720p standard high definition. Ultra wide QHD boosts the horizontal pixels to 3440 for a 21x9 aspect ratio.

This, a few other similar models and the Predator X35 have my full attention.
Almost time to move on from my U3011.

And for the comments above - Google is your friend:
Thats funny coming from you. You are just as guilty as I am. Was I wrong, yes. Do I feel guilty about being wrong, no I don't. Will it be the last time, no it won't. Besides what would we talk about here at TechSpot if everything was Googled (or Binged in my case). Don't tell me Google is my friend, when I never thought there was a reason to Google. Yes I was proven wrong and yes I could Google once shown I was wrong. The conversation wasn't over yet, so leave me alone while I search for the time to do so. Ohh and by the way I'm almost certain in a few months, I will be ready for round 2, 3, or is it 4 thinking HD is 1080 not 720. Regardless of how many times I have made the mistake, I'm certain you will be there next time to correct me again. It has nothing to do with Google, I knew everything you have said. It simply keeps slipping my mind, because for some reason I keep wrongfully referencing 1080 (not 720) as HD.

TLDR: My mistake, let is go. Wasn't my first mistake and won't be my last. Doesn't mean I shouldn't say anything.

Thats funny coming from you. You are just as guilty as I am. Was I wrong, yes. Do I feel guilty about being wrong, no I don't. Will it be the last time, no it won't. Besides what would we talk about here at TechSpot if everything was Googled (or Binged in my case). Don't tell me Google is my friend, when I never thought there was a reason to Google. Yes I was proven wrong and yes I could Google once shown I was wrong. The conversation wasn't over yet, so leave me alone while I search for the time to do so. Ohh and by the way I'm almost certain in a few months, I will be ready for round 2, 3, or is it 4 thinking HD is 1080 not 720. Regardless of how many times I have made the mistake, I'm certain you will be there next time to correct me again. It has nothing to do with Google, I knew everything you have said. It simply keeps slipping my mind, because for some reason I keep wrongfully referencing 1080 (not 720) as HD.

TLDR: My mistake, let is go. Wasn't my first mistake and won't be my last. Doesn't mean I shouldn't say anything.

*hands cliff a tissue*

Though it would be good there are no single GPUS that can do 4k @120hz as you would first need displayport 1.3 (most for example the 980gtx have 1.2). On top of this the performance of current cards is nowhere near enough to drive 4k @ 120 even with SLI! So if they wasted money developing and manufacturing this then there would only be targeting a very small niche market (that currently doesn't exist) and sales would be very very low, it's just not cost effective for a company. Yes I would love it if we had 250Hz 8K IPS screens running from a single GPU (maybe pascal :D) but we are a long long way off that.

Last edited:
Back