TechSpot

Acer won't boot up

By tricky2410
Sep 15, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all

I have a Acer G600 and it won't boot up. When I press the on button the fan on the PSU and fan on the processor start and the power on green led is lit as is the amber led - which I thought was only lit when in standy / hibernation mode. There is a slight burning smell, not sure if the pc's fried itself or if it's just dust. The harddrive does not spin and there is nothing on the monitor - it just doesn't get that far. There are no post start up beeps.

Here's some more information which may confuse or help.... when I first looked at it, it started up (well as described above anyway) when I turned the mains power on, which it shouldn't as it has its own on/off switch on the PC. When I took the battery out on the motherboard and tried again it didn't start automatically, I had to press the on/off.

I thoughts are that with both green and amber LED lit, it is trying to tell me something!

I have not installed any hardware or 'played' with the hardware before.
    Any suggestions on what I can do??? Thanks guys

2. tricky2410

tricky2410 TS Rookie Topic Starter

The problem (I think)

Hi

Just had a brain wave and checked the power supply unit, it stinks! Took it out and it looks as if a capacitor (?spelling) has blown. I guess there was enough power to run the two fans and LEDS???

My next question is, I assume these power supply units are easy to replace. How do I go about getting one with all the power cables I need? For example, mine powers the following:

CD, DVD, floppy, motherboard, media card, hard drive

Do I find someone to fix the power unit or can I buy a new one specifically for my PC?

Last question, anyone reading this from Australia and ideally Brisbane - know which shop????

Thanks guys and gals

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Please would you take a few moments to read this post. A message for all newcomers. Thanks.

Personally I would recommend that you go and buy a new psu.

Preferably a good quality one fome either Enermax, or Antec etc.

Look HERE at this psu wattage calculator. Remember to add a further 30% to whatever figure it gives you.

You might also want to take a look at this excellent article on psu`s. The psu thread. Not only does it give good advice on which psu`s are worth buying, but more importantly, which psu`s to avoid.

Unfortunately, I can`t help you in finding an outlet in Brisbain. I`m sure that if you do a Google search you`ll be able to find something.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.