Acer won't boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I have a Acer G600 and it won't boot up. When I press the on button the fan on the PSU and fan on the processor start and the power on green led is lit as is the amber led - which I thought was only lit when in standy / hibernation mode. There is a slight burning smell, not sure if the pc's fried itself or if it's just dust. The harddrive does not spin and there is nothing on the monitor - it just doesn't get that far. There are no post start up beeps.

Here's some more information which may confuse or help.... when I first looked at it, it started up (well as described above anyway) when I turned the mains power on, which it shouldn't as it has its own on/off switch on the PC. When I took the battery out on the motherboard and tried again it didn't start automatically, I had to press the on/off.

I thoughts are that with both green and amber LED lit, it is trying to tell me something!

I have not installed any hardware or 'played' with the hardware before.
Any suggestions on what I can do??? Thanks guys

The problem (I think)

Hi

Just had a brain wave and checked the power supply unit, it stinks! Took it out and it looks as if a capacitor (?spelling) has blown. I guess there was enough power to run the two fans and LEDS???

My next question is, I assume these power supply units are easy to replace. How do I go about getting one with all the power cables I need? For example, mine powers the following:

CD, DVD, floppy, motherboard, media card, hard drive

Do I find someone to fix the power unit or can I buy a new one specifically for my PC?

Last question, anyone reading this from Australia and ideally Brisbane - know which shop????

Thanks guys and gals

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Please would you take a few moments to read this post. A message for all newcomers. Thanks.

Personally I would recommend that you go and buy a new psu.

Preferably a good quality one fome either Enermax, or Antec etc.

Look HERE at this psu wattage calculator. Remember to add a further 30% to whatever figure it gives you.

You might also want to take a look at this excellent article on psu`s. The psu thread. Not only does it give good advice on which psu`s are worth buying, but more importantly, which psu`s to avoid.

Unfortunately, I can`t help you in finding an outlet in Brisbain. I`m sure that if you do a Google search you`ll be able to find something.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back