ACPI, APM what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjshenal

Hello:

Can someone please explain what ACPI and APM are and how they are used? I tried disableing ACPI on my wifes computer in power management in the BIOS. But after re booting, I got the error saying that the video adaptor was not loaded or was corrupt..It booted up looking like safe mode, HUH? What the heck is that all about? I am totally confused.

I wanted to disable power management in the BIOS because the computer would not wake up after being idle and not used but still on, for some number of hours.

Thanks in advance.

rjshenal

ACPI is a new technology, giving your software more control over how your hardware acts.

You can disable things like standby and hibernation through Windows if you are using ACPI. I recommend leaving it on ACPI, especially since Windows was installed with ACPI... Otherwise you risk having to repair or reinstall Windows because of quirky behavior. ;)

Taken from [www.acpi.info] ...

ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) is an open industry specification co-developed by Hewlett-Packard, Intel, Microsoft, Phoenix, and Toshiba.

ACPI establishes industry-standard interfaces for OS-directed configuration and power management on laptops, desktops, and servers.

ACPI evolves the existing collection of power management BIOS code, Advanced Power Management (APM) application programming interfaces (APIs, PNPBIOS APIs, Multiprocessor Specification (MPS) tables and so on into a well-defined power management and configuration interface specification.

The specification enables new power management technology to evolve independently in operating systems and hardware while ensuring that they continue to work together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back