"ACPI.sys" error and Continous BIOS Beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I just assembled this computer and I already had to replace the motherboard because of a bad 3.3V regulator on the board.

CPU: Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 965 3.73Ghz
Mobo: ASUS P5WDG2-WS
RAM: 4x1GB OCZ PC2-6400
Video Card: ATI X1600XT

I'm able to get BIOS up and change and save settings. I'm also able to POST. Everything was going great. I saved all my BIOS settings and then inserted my Windows XP Professional x64 disk in my CD-Rom. The computer restarted and booted from my CD. Windows setup started and started loading at the bottom. Then after it finished loading (? I assume) the screen displayed this error:

----------------BEGINNING OF ERROR MESSAGE----------
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your Computer.

acpi.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFAE008E35CF4, 0x0000000000000001, 0xFFFFFADFE40FC9D8, 0x0000000000000005)

*** acpi.sys - Address FFFFFADFE40FC9D8 base at FFFFFADFE40DA000, DateStamp 42435eae
------------------END OF ERROR MESSAGE-----------------

Now I rebooted the system and after the computer showed the motherboard boot screen (where it tells what motherboard is being used with CPU) the computer shows a blank screen and BIOS starts beeping continuously very fast. The beeps never stop!

I rebooted again and again and the same blank screen and beeps!

Then thinking it may be the hard drive I switched my SATA cable to another hard drive I had. I rebooted and instead of stalling on the blank screen it instructed me to insert my boot media as it did the first time.

Same thing happened Windows setup started loading, then it displayed the same error as above. Tried rebooting and I got the same blank screen and beeps!

I also tried switching out all of my memory one stick at a time, and I got the same beeps and blank screen. I thought I may have been my RAM, but I think it would be highly unlikely that all 4 of my 1GB sticks would be bad.

Anyway, I'm really up a creek and could use any help ANYONE could offer!

I'm just hoping it's not my mobo or CPU.... Thanks.

Reboot the computer with the XP cd in the drive and press F5 instead of F6.
This will take you to a separate menu of Hardware Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an appropriate HAL that supports ACPI. The choices will be:

ACPI Multiprocessor PC

ACPI Uniprocessor PC

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC

MPS Uniprocessor PC

MPS Multiprocessor PC

Standard PC

Standard PC with C-Step i486

Other

In the majority of installations the 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC' HAL is the one you will want to use. A few cautions are also in order:

Obtain and install the latest BIOS for your motherboard before you begin the XP installation.

Equally as important as using the proper HAL on ACPI capable systems, is NOT using it on systems that are not ACPI compatible. The install may complete but the system will almost surely fail to start when it reboots.

There are situations where it is definitely not desirable to use an ACPI HAL even if it is supported by the BIOS. This predominately applies to servers, but to ensure that an ACPI HAL will not be used or automatically detected and used, press F7 instead of F5 as discussed previously.

Considering the number of problems that users have with systems not shutting down completely I wonder why this feature is not prominently mentioned and documented. It could save many headaches, but now you know. A good piece of knowledge to have tucked away for your next XP install.

As a final note, to determine if your computer was detected as being ACPI enabled:

Right click My Computer then click Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.
Expand the entry called Computer.

If the entry is 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC' you're all set. If it says 'Standard PC' the computer BIOS was not detected as being ACPI capable.

Found The Problem

Thanks FASTCO

Tried it but It still failed, so I ended up testing the CPU. Ended up that the CPU was bad. :dead:

Sooo... at least hopefully its not the motherboard or the ram too. I doubt its the motherboard cuz it can POST and BIOS is fine.

Having the Ram checked tommorrow. Hopefully its just the CPU, now that I know that it is bad.

Acpi is message from the the fun , of CPU , clean this cooler and the radiators from CPU, try another cooler if not work , this will have slow rotations , under 1000 rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back