Acronis Wont Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've got a dual boot laptop running windows xp + suSe 10. Booting with GRUB.

I have tried to add another partition but it says there isn't enough free space to add it, although I selected an 8GB partition on a drive drive with 19GB free. It has a windows partition(NTFS), a linux partition(ext2), a swap partiton and a 'data'partition (FAT32).

Also tried Norton Partition Magic 8 but it wont even start now - it comes back with error 117 - cant recognise partition...

any help would be really appreciated! I'm getting this close to formatting and starting again - partitioning everything from the start rather than addingh on and on as I go. I know what I want now, a triple boot laptop ( Win XP, SuSe 10, MAC OSX) :eek:)

Thanks

matulike said:
It has a windows partition(NTFS), a linux partition(ext2), a swap partiton and a 'data'partition (FAT32).
If they are all primary partitions, there isn't room to make new partitions in the partition table. You'll have to convert one (probably the last one) to a logical partition on an extended partition, resize the extended partition to cover the free area, and create another logical partition.

PC partition style allows only four "main" partitions, of which at least one has to be primary. Extended partitions can contain as many logical partitions as there is space, as far as I know (or is it up to 255?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back