Active X or whatever it's called...

By Aolath
Apr 30, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey ppl,
    I was recently browsing the web, and ended up on one of the f***** websites with like 50000 popups. One of which was GAIN, and every time I am greeted with all the popups I click no obviously, however, just because I am a worrying sod, and i'm probably just imagining it, I think I may have clicked yes on one of the popups. I probably didn't it's just it stopped asking after I clicked and the installation box dosn't appear when I return back to the site. I checked with PC Pitstop, and it didn't detect anything, Norton is running and seems ok, and I've looked in Downloaded Program Files folder in WINDOWS, and there is nothing new or unusual there. So did I click yes atall?
    Are ALL installation popups which you click yes on, shown up in the downloaded programs folder?
    I'm worried.... As usualll.....
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

There is absolutely no way of knowing what an ActiveX control does with your system. You should most definently run a spyware scan on your system. And make sure you have disabled unsigned ActiveX.
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,250   +213

Lavasoft AdAware is one to run. Also check out SpyBot.
  4. XtR-X

XtR-X Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,040

Lavasoft Ad-Aware 6
    Install, update definitions, and run a complete scan.

SpyBot - Search and Destroy
    Install, update definitions, and run a scan after ad-aware.

SpyWare Blaster
    A nice tool to stop the pop ups to install stuff--Active X and such. I love it.

Scan for viruses
    Update your virus definitions if you have anti-virus. If you don't, click the link and do an online virus scan.
  5. Aolath

Aolath Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 16

Yes but once again there all freeware with limited options...
    I always use Ad Aware, il try all of them. Will they detect the installation programs that pop up, that theres a possibility of clicking yes to? Will they detect the program that may be installed if you click yes?
  6. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

They will detect known spyware already installed. If you buy Ad-Aware, it will install a resident scanner that blocks spyware before it installs.
  7. XtR-X

XtR-X Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,040

Spyware Blaster prevents what you just said... popups that want to install. It's free and its worth more than buying ad-aware.

However, if you'd like to support ad-aware, that would be nice too.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.