ActiveX controls and Nortons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with ActiveX not working with a Nortons Autofix.

I noted that a similar problem was answered on www.castlecops.com/p789899. The point of difference with my "challenge" is that I have installed Norton Internet Security 2006 and Norton SystemWorks Basic.

I have experienced problems with each installation and been advised by the Symantec help desk to reinstall these products.

Now on my third installation of Nortons Antivirus, I have found that the Norton autofix programme which checks to see if my system has any viruses cannot run. The error message I get reads "We cannot run the AutoFix Tool on your computer without ActiveX controls".

I have also tried disabling my one remaining firewall (Windows XP) and enabled ActiveX controls in Windows Explorer but the problem still remains.

I have been trying to resolve this problem with help from the Norton's help desk for over a week and could easily be influenced to look at another antivirus system.

Help!

Any assistance provided will be gratefully received.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The best advice I can give you, is to get rid of that Symantec/Norton crapware. It causes more problems than it solves and slows down your system due to the fact it`s a huge resource hog.

Download the free AVG antivirus programme from HERE. Then, download, either the free Zonealarm or the free Kerio firewall programmes from HERE and HERE.

Disconnect from the net and uninstall your Symantec/Norton product from add remove programmes in your control panel. You may have to do this in several stages. Once you`ve completely uninstalled the programme reboot your system.

Install whatever firewall you choose, followed by AVG free and reboot your system. Reconnect to the net and run the AVG updates.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Cheers Howard.

I have a Kerio firewall on my older system and like it.

I would like to resolve the DirectX issues unless someone tells me that this is not necessary.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back