actually using serial ata

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi

i just bought a new comp (p2.8 abit ic7 mb maxtor 120gb sata hd 6y120mo)

until now i thought i was actually having sata enabled on my machine (winxp) but when i checked the speed and udma mode it was udma100 and i figured the sata isnt actually enabled on my sys.

i tried installing the drivers but it says device not found

my question is if i want to actually use SATA features does my ide channel have to be in RAID mode and not IDE (would that let me enable sata on winxp ?) right now in the bios onchip serial ata is set at auto (onchip sata mode: IDE , SATA RAID ROM: enabled)
i have the ability to chance it to either enhanced/combined/sata only(in which case it doesnt recognize my cdrom as its parallel ata)

How did you find out that your SATA drive is running at UDMA/100? It should be listed as a mass storage / SCSI device and is not defined by UDMA.

If you are looking at your "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" in device manager, then of course it is running at UDMA/100 because that is not your SATA controller.

In short, the UDMA mode of your IDE controller has nothing to do with your SATA devices... If that was what you were looking at.

You DO have a SCSI section though, correct?

It may not plainly say SATA (although most do), but that's where your SATA controller will be installed.

What's under SCSI devices?

ya i have a scsi section but the controller there has nothing to do with sata stuff (as far as i can tell) - its st3wolf scsi controller (which i have no clue of why thats even installed)

The st3wolf is the harddrive controller as far as I can gather from a little search...

[ ST3WOLF SCSI Controller ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description
ST3WOLF SCSI Controller
Driver Date
4/27/2003
Driver Version
Driver Provider
Generic
INF File
oem2.inf

But that's unfortunately all I could find...

do any of you have an abit mb with onboard sata controller and winxp so you could tell me which driver is installed ? and one more thing how can i check if my hd actually works in sata mode and not uata100

Sata in xp

I having the same problem that you are and I hope some one will give you a straight answer as it wil help me too. Found as intresting answer for "Asus boards concerning correct Silicone image drivers that may help try the Abit MOB thread, good luck

IF you apparently don't have SATA enabled, and according to your specs, you have an SATA hard drive, then how on earth is your PC even working? I don't see any mention of an IDE hard drive in your post. It must be a miracle :=).

Originally posted by Nic
IF you apparently don't have SATA enabled, and according to your specs, you have an SATA hard drive, then how on earth is your PC even working? I don't see any mention of an IDE hard drive in your post. It must be a miracle :=).

Its possible that Windows XP used a generic driver for the SATA controller limiting it to a slower speed. In all honesty, no 7200 RPM drive today will come close to topping out ATA100 never mind SATA speeds. There will be little or no speed benefits to using SATA at this time. The only benefit that exist right now is the thin cable.

Why SATA anyways?

You are using specification 1 SATA, right? (unless spec2 is out?)

Are you getting 150Mb/s with your HD? That's about 10% more than with an ata133... What about the price difference, more than 10%?

It seems to give you more grief than anything else, maybe you could get something a bit more standardized? Like a 120Gb Maxtor ATA133, no? Same company, maximum actual speed

wait a year for valid drivers and support, or have fun in your BIOS, its your call really! Both Hard drives will, eventually, work... By the way, buying a 300mb/s SATA HD next year seems to me like a better idea, espacially if you can get a good deal on a ataXX drive right now.

Pete

i have the same thing happening with my abit ic7-g. i only have one wd sata 120gb hard drive in the slot named "sata1" on my motherboard. "sata2", "sata3", and "sata4" are empty. nicoren, what slot is your sata hard drive in?

my system is using "ide mode" instead of "raid mode" under my bios because raid mode wouldn't work with one hard drive, right? if i was using two hard drives under "raid mode," it will show up under "scsi and raid controllers" instead of "ide ata/atapi controllers" right? you probably shouldn't worry about it too much unless someone else can enlight us. i'll see what happens if i go into bios and change it to raid mode if it will make a difference.

okay that was a waste of time. it did not load windows properly as i expected. i suppose that you should not worry about it not showing up under scsi and raid controller unless you are going to be running that silicon image under raid mode. that is all i can find out for now.

ok I don't know what the hell to do anymore. I can't get just 1 serial ata drive to work. All i have is this drive and 1 dvd burner. All the attachments are correct but for some reason I can't get it to come up in my bios. Can someone please help out. I tried a REINSTALL/fix using the disk provided and still nothing.

Help Please!!!

These issues are usually mobo specific. I run a Gigabyte board, and all I had to do was install the SATA drivers and it was taken care of...I have read on other posts that some of the Asus boards are a bit more finicky (still kick @$$ boards though)...my 2 cents...

IC7 Sata

I also have an IC7 with 2 120GB Maxtor SATA Drives installed.

If you set the SATA controller to Auto the motherboard will list it as an IDE device under 1 of the 4 IDE channels.

It should also then appear in the boot menu.
Hope this helps!

Does anyone know how to set up a striped raid using my 2 SATA drives on this mobo?

Maxtor 6Y120MO

nicoren about the Maxtor 6Y120MO I have this very drive in the computer I am typing this to you there are acually 2 models of the 6Y120MO, one is SATA the other is Parallel (like Mine) since it said nicoren that you are a new comer in training make sure you have the SATA drive. A Parallel drive has a 2 inch (or about) wide gray cable going to the harddrive the serial has about a 5/16 inch RED cable , Programs like EVEREST and other hardware identifiers will tell you you have a 6Y120MO and incorrectly state that it is an SATA with 150MB/sec data tranfer rate, but ... you may not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back