TechSpot

Ad-Aware Problems? Killed my network connection?

By thmandan22
Mar 24, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I heard somthing about ad-aware killing internet conections lately, since the occurance coresponded with the time I used it I am assuming it was ad-aware that did it. I lost internet and network connection to one of the PC's. Obvously this one, on the same network still works fine. any ideas for a fix? I ca't find a fix that works anyway. System Restore wont work, and I dont think I can restore in Ad-aware. Any help is good.
    Here are some links this is mentioned:
    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=60484&hl=tib browser object
    http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=91941&messageID=1036079&tag=nl.e497
    please help.
    -dan
  2. dopefisher

dopefisher TS Rookie Posts: 540

have you tried reinstalling drivers, hardware, programs, etc?
  3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Check the network settings from the OK PC, and note them down.
    Then compare them with the settings of the NOT-OK PC.
  4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to restore from ad-aware. That is always the way to do it in the future. Quarantine the files, make sure your PC runs ok for a few weeks, then delete them. That way if something goes wrong you can always revert back.
  5. thmandan22

thmandan22 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 73

Im not sure what to do. I think I am going to format the drive and re-install an OS, Any OS suggestions. Like a Linux designed for (ex) windows users that is easy to use. Or would formatting not help?
  6. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Assuming you had XP, try Windows 2000 Pro instead.

I would still say, that your network settings are off. Uninstall all network protocols and network hardware. Then let Windows reinstall it automatically again.
    Make a not of your settings first. (did you do a settings comparison?)
  7. thmandan22

thmandan22 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 73

This computer is on Win-ME and the network settings under tcp/ip are "obtain automatically" for the IP and the DNS. This is the same as in my XP home computer. I might be looking at the wrong places, direct me.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.