TechSpot

Ad-Aware Problems? Killed my network connection?

By thmandan22
Mar 24, 2005
  1. I heard somthing about ad-aware killing internet conections lately, since the occurance coresponded with the time I used it I am assuming it was ad-aware that did it. I lost internet and network connection to one of the PC's. Obvously this one, on the same network still works fine. any ideas for a fix? I ca't find a fix that works anyway. System Restore wont work, and I dont think I can restore in Ad-aware. Any help is good.
    Here are some links this is mentioned:
    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=60484&hl=tib+browser+object
    http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=91941&messageID=1036079&tag=nl.e497
    please help.
    -dan

2. dopefisher

dopefisher TS Rookie Posts: 444

have you tried reinstalling drivers, hardware, programs, etc?

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Check the network settings from the OK PC, and note them down.
    Then compare them with the settings of the NOT-OK PC.

4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to restore from ad-aware. That is always the way to do it in the future. Quarantine the files, make sure your PC runs ok for a few weeks, then delete them. That way if something goes wrong you can always revert back.

5. thmandan22

thmandan22 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 59

Im not sure what to do. I think I am going to format the drive and re-install an OS, Any OS suggestions. Like a Linux designed for (ex) windows users that is easy to use. Or would formatting not help?

6. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Assuming you had XP, try Windows 2000 Pro instead.

I would still say, that your network settings are off. Uninstall all network protocols and network hardware. Then let Windows reinstall it automatically again.
    Make a not of your settings first. (did you do a settings comparison?)

7. thmandan22

thmandan22 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 59

This computer is on Win-ME and the network settings under tcp/ip are "obtain automatically" for the IP and the DNS. This is the same as in my XP home computer. I might be looking at the wrong places, direct me.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.