Ad-aware Se

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Adaware-se is an excellent programme. Other fine programmes are. Spybot search & destroy/Ewido/Spyware blaster/Ccleaner.

The above programmes used in conjunction with a good AV programme(not Symantec/Norton/mcAfee), and firewall. Will help to keep your system spyware/malware free.

Regards Howard :)

Yep! Adaware is a good program. I use Ccleaner, spytbot, ewido, and spysweeper to keep my comp clean. So far everything is great. I also use the AVG anti-virus which is very good too and its free! For a firewall i recomend sygate personal firewall, it logs EVERYTHING, its great! :)

presonal experience..i run with AdAware and Spybot: Search and destroy
some things dont show up on spybot but show up on AdAware...
and vice versa

final answer - AdAware get it

I use three

I use Trend Micro, AdAware SE, and M$ antiSpyware beta. All seem to be very good programs, and two of them are free! (Although it turned out to be a good one, I have to admit that I hooked up with with the M$ product only because- anything I can get from Micro$oft FREE, I jump at!) :)

Of course, the best way to keep spyware and virus free is not to use Windows to connect to the internet. I use Linux most of the time, but you can get distributions that run an entire Linux operating system (including internet, a full office suite, etc.) from a cd (Knoppix is the best known). This is especially good if do a lot of risky things like dowloading cracked games, movies, and such. Then you can scan the file before it has a chance to do anything to your computer. I know Linux sound intimidating, but it has actually become really easy to use, and there is a lot of free support on the web. If you have a high speed connection you can download many Linux distributions for free, so cost isn't an option. I still use Windows for gaming, but Linux for everything else. It's worth trying, isn't it?

I believe it best to view the problem of security in two steps: 1) Prevention and 2) Detection and Removal. Prevention can be accomplished via firewalls and running services which block spyware and viruses. Detection and removal can be accomplished via antispyware and antivirus detection and removal programs.

PREVENTION: If you have a broadband connection I suggest you purchase a router, even though you only connect to it one computer. The very design and operation of the router makes it a perfect firewall. You can purchase one for $30 to $50. This will be your only expense as all other items I suggest herein are free. If you want to have program startup control, or if you do not have a router, you can install a software firewall. I use Kerio, and there are other good ones out there, like Outpost and ZoneAlarm. For running process I recommend WinPatrol, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, the Tea Timer component of Spybot Search & Destroy and the Email Scanner option of AVG Antivirus.

DETECTION & REMOVAL: The key here is to understand that no single antispyware program will catch all infections. For antivirus, I use AVG. For general spyware I use AdAware SE Personal, Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta and A-Squared. For more specific attacks, I use CWShredder, F-Secure BlackLight, and Microsoft's Malicious Removal Tool. To keep the system clean I use HijackThis and CCleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back