ad-aware

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's ok, but like ALL tools, is not a silver bullet.

try adding Spywareblaster to your tool bag; it helps control ActiveX installs

also highly recommentd Spybot Search & Destroy

but most importantly, be proactive with your Firewall and these tools become secondary importance :)

Adaware is a good programme, but only one of a range of programmes you need to help keep your computer clean.

jobeard has already linked some excellent programmes, all of which are very good.

There is one programme however, that I`d like to recommend to you.

Ewido, which you can get from http://www.ewido.net/en/

This programme is particularly good at rooting out trojans.

Once the trial period has expired, you will still be able to get updates, and use the programme.

During the installation make sure to untick install the background guard.

You can also untick the scan via context menu if you like, although I find this option quite useful.

Regards Howard :) :)

Thanks to you both

You darlings are so kind, thanks for the advice I will go and download them all and protect myself to the fullest this time. Wondering though sweeties, will any of them conflict with each other or conflict with Avast?

:angel:

As far as I`m aware, you should have no problems with conflicts.

However, just to be sure. Download, and install one programme at a time, then update, and run it.

Regards Howard :)

follow-up

Firewalls worth considering:
AVG
Sysgate

While I have personal success with Norton NAV/NIS, there's been such a flock of complaints, I no longer recommend it.
If/when it dies, I too will go to one of the above.

Make sure you have a good firewall first.. like the free ones joeboard stated. I personally have Sygate. All of the stated programs are "good" and quite reliable.

As for interfering with Avast!, the only program I know to do this is Norton Internet Security (and most likely other Symantec Products).

For your info: AVG is an antivirus program, NOT a firewall.

Other good free firewalls available from www.agnitum.com and www.zonelabs.com

The often mentioned free firewall from Kerio will no longer be supported after December 31/2005, although still available.

Sygate has been bought up by bloatware manufacturer Symantec, so it (the Sygate firewall) too will soon go to the dogs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back