Ad-hoc wireless network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, if anyone could help me out with this one I'd be gratefull

Last year I set up a home network (2 desktop PC's, ad-hoc wirelessly) everything worked fine. Sharing internet connection etc. I then moved back to uni for a year and in that time my dad got a new pc. I have now come home, reinstalled the wireless adapter back into the new computer (both computers use D-Link DWL-G520's) and now there is a problem.

I have read many articles on the web about setting up adhoc networks and I just can't seem to fathom it out. The two adapters have their own unique IP's with the same subnet both on same channel and they are set to 'ad-hoc' mode and appear to recognise each other. Yet for some reason the client/second computer will not access the internet. Internet sharing is enabled in windows. My knowledge is rather limited im afraid. I've pinged from the host to the client and it says 'destination net unreachable' packets sent 4, received 4. What this means im not 100% sure.

Any advice??? its pretty annoying how it worked only a few months ago.

Cheers....

need more info on the physical network config. It sounds as if you have something like
(some Inet connection) -- first PC --ICS--2nd PC​
The both DWL-G520s need to connect to a router (not each other) it you want Inet access.
eg: (some Inet connection) --router -w/l- first PC w/l--2nd PC

thanks for the quick reply.

The host computer is actually acting as the router and is the main computer that receives broadband internet. The second computer accesses the internet through the host. (host comp acts as the gateway) That was how I set it up initially.

I'm not sure what other physical info you might need. Sorry.

ok then.
the machine with internet access(sys1) has the IPCONFIG /ALL data you need.

the second maching(sys2) will need to set the GATEWAY and DNS addresses to
the same values as sys1. The ICS connection will take an address of
192.168.0.1 and sys2 can ping it and do file/print sharing to that address.

from sys1 use a cmd prompt an perform NSLOOKUP google.com
you should be able to ping google.com also w/o any timeouts.

Now go to sys2 and use the same NSLOOKUP google.com and
you should get the same result as last time -- this shows that a URL
can be translated into an IP address -- and must work for sys2 to have internet access.

ok im thinking iv probably got the basics wrong here.

Just to rewind a little...

When im setting IP's / default gateways / DNS servers on both computers, I'm doing this using the network adapters software. Is this correct? I'm confused as the IP address of system one is 84.68.3.79 according to www.whatismyip.com
What does this mean? Is it relevant to this problem?

The network afdapter software gives me a choice of either obtaining an IP address automatically or manually assigning one. Which do I need to do on system 1?
I have been manually assigning IP's on both machines. As the 'obtaining automatically' option appears to be doing nothing. I followed the network adapters manual and entered IP's of 192.168.0.1 (1st pc) 192.168.0.2 (2nd pc) and set the DNS server on the 2nd machine as 192.168.0.1

Am I right to be entering these IP's when system1's IP says its 84.68.3.79?

These are the settings the adapter comes with; (where I have been entering various combinations of numbers)

OBTAIN AN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY ()
MANUALLY ASSIGN THE FOLLOWING IP ADDRESS ()
IP address --- --- --- ---
Subnet mask --- --- ---
Default gateway --- --- ---

OBTAIN A DNS SERVER AUTOMATICALLY ()
USE THE FOLLOWING DNS SERVER ADDRESS ()
Preferred DNS server --- --- ---
Alternative DNS server --- --- ---

Thanks for the help with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back